Chapter 15 - Against the Clock

15 Minutes Before the Event

The punch landed and Ivan flew off the doctor's bed. He crashed into nearby objects on the table and met the ground, shocking him awake. Ivan gasped for air as he stood up and rubbed his cheek. Both Cindy and Derek ran to Ivan with worried looks. Cindy threw her arms around Ivan and he did the same.

"What was that? Did something go wrong?", Cindy asked, holding Ivan's hands. "We need to get out of here right now", Ivan warned, looking outside the lab and realizing William's dad was there. "What about William? Why did you wake up and not him?", Derek asked. "That's not William anymore", Ivan whispered. As Ivan spoke, William's eyes opened.

His pupils disappeared and his eyes started to glow bright red. The odd green glow went throughout William's body. His arms became free from the straps and he got up from the doctor's bed. Ivan looked at William and everyone else followed his gaze. William's body faced them as his head stared at the floor with fists. His head snapped up and his bright red eyes glared into the others.

"You know, you're pointing that weapon at the wrong person", William's dad said. "Who else should I point it to then?", Devin asked, resting his finger on the trigger. "Them", William's dad said with his eyes glowing bright red. Devin's hand twisted itself to the direction of the lab and fired. The bullet collided with the doorknob, ripping it off.

Everyone inside the lab jumped and William opened his hands. A wave of light green energy was sent, tossing everyone out the room. Ivan and Cindy flew through the glass window, sending shards everywhere. Derek crashed through the door and slid to the wall. Devin snapped back to William's dad as he tossed the gun aside. William's dad then turned his hand into a fist and Devin's hand twisted out of form.

Devin yelled out in pain and shut his eyes. William's dad stretched his fist out, tossing Devin away. He smashed against the wall and fell on the floor unconscious. A sinister smile appeared on William's dad face as he crept back into the darkness of the room. At that moment, William stepped out the lab. Ivan looked at Cindy and saw small cuts throughout her body.

Ivan looked at himself and realized he had the same amount of cuts on his body. Footsteps approached Ivan from behind. He turned his head and a fist clashed against his face. Ivan's head fell to the ground and a small amount of blood came down his nose. William looked at Ivan's unconscious body with his red lights disappearing. When they vanished, his eyes rolled to the back of his head as he fell back.

As his head hit the ground, he was transported to a dark void. The impact of the fall made William barely conscious. He groaned as he put a hand on his head and the other on the floor. He stood up and opened his eyes. Blackness greeted his eyesight as William looked around. He got on his feet and the sounds of a girl whimpering were heard.

William turned around and saw a teenage girl around his age. Confusion filled his mind as he walked toward her. She had her head in her arms and was crawled up in a ball. William set a hand on the girl's shoulder and felt her tension. The girl stopped whimpering and slightly lifted her head. She looked at William's hand and a small glimpse of white light was shown.

His eyes widened as the girl faced him. He fell back to the ground as the girl stood. Half of her face was normal, but the other half resembled a burnt face in black. Wrinkles of skin were visible, along with her veins throughout the bad half as white light shined through her eyes. She took a few steps toward William as he started to crawl away. "Save us", the girl growled, both with desperation and anger.