(1) introduction

Welcome to the life of izumi! In order for this book to make sense, be sure you've read my prequel fanfic; fire & lightning, or it might be difficult to keep up with the second generation of team avatar and understand this new story.

Enjoy!

And today's chapter's tune: Vacation - The Go-Go's

~

"I don't get it." I crossed my arms, squinting confusingly at my father. "I'm supposed to be the future leader of the Fire Nation, why are you making me leave?"

"I'm not making you do anything." Dad reassured, then took a sip of his tea that grandpa has kindly prepared for everyone. I know he's dad's uncle, but everyone insists that i should address him as my grandfather. After all, my real grandpa on his side is a disaster, and a total loser.

"Izumi, it's only temporary." Mom spoke up and joined the conversation. "Your father has put a lot of work into building Republic City with Avatar Aang, and it would give you a great reputation if you stayed over there for a while and did your part as princess to help out the citizens in need of assistance."

"See, that's just it." I stopped mom from continuing as soon as i lost track of what she was saying. "I'm the crown princess of the Fire Nation, but not of this new city that you guys created together with your friends. What exactly do i need to do there?"

"Republic City is a place where all benders and non-benders can live together in peace and harmony, that was the plan. It's about to become one of the capital cities of the world, and if you stayed down there for a bit and showed that the Fire Nation continues to stay on its side to support its full potential, it will help you with your coronation in the future." Dad explained the situation a bit more clearly, but it was still hard to keep up with.

"Why would that be good for me?"

"Izumi, you are my daughter, which means you are going to be the greatest Fire Lord in our history without a doubt. Other than me, of course." Dad's humour made mom let out a snicker, causing her to roll her eyes at him. "I'm not getting any younger, and time sure does fly. Before we all know it, i will need to retire and it will be your turn to lead the nation. It's important to have a good reputation, and a positive reaction to your name."

"He's right, honey." Mom added, taking her turn to speak. "You already know so much about our lives and what we did for the world when we were your age, but your father also had a lot of difficulty and great responsibilities as Fire Lord, especially when he first started. If you're not careful, not everyone will be fond of your work and the choices you make. You need to start getting used to the heavier requirements of being Fire Lord."

"Last i checked, i'm worshipped here." i bragged, then watched as mom and dad both shook their heads out of disagreement in unison.

"Here, perhaps. What does the rest of the world think about you?"

I hated when they were right, so i had no choice but to just shrug my shoulders and accept that i wasn't going to win this time. But, they're my parents and i love them.

"I mean this in the nicest way possible, but you are not completely ready to take over the throne. Put yourself out there more, go to Republic City and help the council organize, since there's still a lot that needs to be done. Once i see improvement, i will officially step down." Dad finished, then got up on his feet and approached me with a smile on his face. "Do we have a deal?"