Chapter 9 - The Beautiful Heart

My phone rang and rang many times. I did not notice that because I went on a ride. So she messaged me, "Jacob, thank you for everything and I'm sorry also for everything."

I only noticed it when I arrived home. I was compelled to call her, but I exercised my self-control. So I just texted her "That's okay Rachel. Seeing you well is enough for me. Get well soon."

"Thanks, but I want to give you something in return. I insist. What do you want?" she messaged again. I don't know what I want. All I wanted was just to be with her.

"Rachel, I don't know what I want something in return, but please don't get offended because I would like to ask again to have dinner with you. I just want to make amends with you. But if you don't like it, it's just okay for me. It's up to you what do you want to give," I said in my message

"Okay, Sure. Let's have dinner with Martha after church service. See you!" She replied. I cannot believe that finally, we will have a date together! I can't wait for Sunday to come. I'm counting days and days, but I feel like it's getting long.

**********

Then finally the time has come. I dressed so much on our first date, and of course with her small group leader.  She decided to eat in a fast-food which served a famous grilled chicken where she wanted to treat me. So I went earlier there and minutes later they arrived. Rachel just dressed simply but still beautiful.

We are lining up on the cashier to order our food and the lady in the counter gave us the order number.   She told us to wait for our food - grilled chicken - because it will be prepared.  After that, I immediately looked for a table for us and when I found one, I pulled out the chairs for them to sit.  Minutes later, our food just arrived.

We talked and laughed a lot.  I saw how she used her bare hands while eating the chicken and how she also using her hands to pick up the rice while pouring so much chicken oil on her plate.  She is amazingly simple and that's what made me fall for her more.

"Rachel, I would like to apologize for what I have done before. I just only want to get to know you more and I thought that was the best way," I said.

"I understand Jacob. I am sorry also. I thought also that would be the best way I will guard my heart and yours too because it was just too fast."

"I agree it was too fast. I was so impulsive and impatient before. I was really stupid that I did that and I can't still get over the mess that I have done. I did not even consult God about it. But I learned my lesson now." I said.

"Okay Jacob, I appreciate that you explained and apologized," she said.

"So, can we now be friends?" I asked.

"Sure, friends!" she replied.

I have never been this joyful that finally, the lost months or years between the two us have finally ended.

Then finally, we are going home. I opened the door for a taxi for the both of them and I said "Thank you for granting my request Rachel, this night is unforgettable to me."
She just smiled.

**********

Then days and weeks came by, we meet now without awkwardness. I felt that she is now more open to me. I cannot believe that one day this will come. It's just like a dream that came true.

God opened more opportunities and instances that we can be together. We sometimes are inside the jeepney together, I pay for her fare also.

We sometimes see each other unintentionally in fast food or a restaurant and join them. I sometimes treat them with some desserts.