sick of your charm

woohoo fuck yeah, chapter fourteen!!! :*)

"Um, we're spaghetti. It'll be done by seven-thirty and the most of the kids are probably gonna show up," Steve fumbled out hoping he left before he said something he couldn't dig himself out of. "I'm gonna . . .go now."

He didn't want Billy to know how much he freaked him the hell out and made him feel like a twelve year old girl whenever he did this type of shit to him; so, he calmly walked out of the room, without running, as much as he wanted to; just calm and collected. (That's what he wished he was perceived as.)

All of the worry seeped out of him and onto the floor, soaking into the carpet for him to clean once the big bad finally happened, only for him to clean. Although, he was sweating due to the worry he felt, leaving him anxiety filled for the entire afternoon. He was fine with having to deal with that emotion rollercoaster to hear the exciting news, for both him and Billy, more Billy than he. 

Billy was right: Steve would never push Billy out when he became unbearable to deal with. Steve saw too much of himself in him, how he was when he was younger, before everything with whole spray painting of 'Nancy the Slut Wheeler', everything. When his parents first started leaving for more than a couple days at a time, he was around thirteen. Instead of spending his days chatting up his mothers friends who frequented the house or studying under his fathers command, he began trying to find a place to belong.

Not that he and Tommy H. weren't friends at that point, they just got a good deal closer, even if all they talked about was girls and the parties they were going to go to when high school started. Even though his parents didn't give him the attention he wanted, he still got a little something. Like they say, negative attention is still attention and he would take anything he could get. But now, he had to make sure that the people he considered friends would never leave him. So, buying things for them or drinking alcohol his father wouldn't notice missing became a reoccurring activity. (Well, until he wanted it to stop.)

Steve was just a mad kid, not in the way of violence, but in the way of words. King Steve could either make you or break you, he was the center of all the parties and not getting invited to one was life crushing, for a high schooler perspective. Not that Steve would tell anybody about this since most people don't know and he's honestly ashamed of this fact. He's really good at guessing people's insecurities like something they probably don't realize until he says.

He can't count the number of people he has made cry by doing that over the years. It's not like he was a total monster, as much as it seems that way. Most of the people it happened to totally deserved it; so, he won't apologize for doing the right thing. If someone is being a creep, and not on accident, at one of his parties, he'll usually tell them 'hey get the fuck out' or tell them he needs to show them something outside and just lock them out. He's done worse, but we're not getting into this. He just wanted Billy happy.

~

The smells of freshly cut tomatoes with noodles and cooked basil wafted through the house, filling the kitchen with a home cooked smell. He cleaned as he made dinner, if not he would have to deal with a bigger mess, the obvious mess that the kids would leave behind after they left and then the initial mess from cooking up dinner in the first place.

Steve hoped that this wouldn't be an awkward kind meeting tonight since the kids were coming to, maybe Jonathan and Nancy if Will invited them along, who could say no to that kid? Although Billy was rough and stubborn, never backing down when he believed he was right, even when he was obviously wrong, the kids would be able to go head and head with him. They were the most headstrong middle schoolers Steve had ever met.