Chapter 12

"How's the spell coming along?" A very irritable son of Athena asked, peering over Lou Ellen's shoulder. Lou spoke without looking up from her work. "There's a spell and a potion. You have to drink the potion for the spell to work on you. I've finished the potion." She gestured to the brown looking liquid. Maxwell dropped a piece of grass into the pot. It sizzled and turned to ash.
He laughed nervously and raised an eyebrow. "We're gonna drink that?" he asked. Lou rolled her eyes at the son of Poseidon's nonsense.

"Yes, you will be drinking that. It's harmless." Lou went back to stirring the potion "The spell is also done. Tomorrow morning everyone going will be meeting at Thalia's tree. Pack up. We don't know too much about this alternate world. It could be dangerous."

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Samwise threw a pebble into the crackling fire and glanced at each of the travellers in the Fellowship. He did not know most of them very well. Strider, a Ranger, had met the four hobbits at Bree in a pub, along with Elysium. He is supposedly the rightful King of Gondor.

Sam did not know Legolas very much either. Legolas lived in Mirkwood as the prince of the Woodland Realm. He was a natural with a bow and arrow like many other elves. He is very calm and respectful and the most tireless of the Fellowship. Legolas reminded Sam of a tree, lithe and strong.

His eyes turned to Elysium. She lay against Legolas with half-lidded green eyes. Her breath was heavy. Elysium's black hair was strewn everywhere. Dirt covered her face and clothes. The eldest daughter of Elrond looked horrible and Sam knew she wouldn't be able to hold on much longer. Blood soaked her upper torso where the ice pierced her. Legolas held her hand in his.

"Water," She groaned, rolling her head only Legolas' shoulder. She fell to the ground and began moving towards a pond. Legolas moved to pull her back, but Aragorn put an arm out and watched her carefully.

Elysium dragged herself across the moist cave ground to the small pond. She fully immersed herself in the water. Minutes passed by and she still had not gotten out. Aragorn and Legolas went to pull her out of the water, but were splashed. Elysium emerged from the pond with wide eyes full of adrenaline, splashing water about.

Aragorn restrained her and checked her wound, seeing if it was bleeding. To his surprise it was better. Not horribly better, but the bleeding had stopped, as did the infection. He eyed her suspiciously. "How did you do that?" Boromir asked from across the cave. A wound of that nature does not just heal instantly.

Elysium just shook her head, breathing heavily and looking down at her stomach. How, she asked herself.

"We must keep moving." Gandalf said warily. He glanced at the pale moving object coming their way. Anything could threaten their quest, even the smallest of creatures.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Elysium leaned lightly on Legolas and Aragorn as the Fellowship came upon a long passageway filled with intricate columns. "Welcome, my friends, to the great realm and dwarf-city of Dwarrowdelf."

The hobbits looked at the massive structure in awe. Sam's eyes shined. "There's an eye opener, and no mistake." The Fellowship made their way down the great hall of the dwarves with only Gandalf's staff light to guide them. Gimli lead them through a stone doorway. Bones were piled up against the walls, but Gimli paid no attention to them. All he saw was the cement tomb in the middle. He read the inscription on the front of the stone. It read: 'Here lie Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria.' Gimli fell to his knees and wept.

Gandalf grimaced. "He is dead then." He took a book from the skeleton of a dwarf. Gimli resumed is sobbing, not noticing the apologies he received or the comforting hand Elysium put on his shoulder. He was numb with agony.

"We must move on. We cannot linger." Legolas whispered to Aragorn. Elysium scowled at them. "Give him time to grieve his loss."
0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Gandalf flipped through the thick pages of the book. The words described the siege on Moria; written by Balin, it was his journal. "They have taken the bridge...and the second hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes; drums, drums in the deep."

Pippin took a step back with each word, looking around the room, imagining the descriptions in the book. "We cannot get out." The stone room took on a disturbing feel to it. Everyone imagined what the dwarves had gone through. "A Shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming." The words grew sloppy and impossible to distinguish.

Pippin twisted the skeleton of a dwarf that leaned upon a long dark well. The head of the remains rolled off and fell loudly down, down the well. They turned their heads toward the noise, expecting orcs. Pippin froze in place and watched as the rest of the body followed its head. Along with a metal chain. And a large bucket.

Pippin flinched with each bang it made. The sound echoed through the halls and caves, signaling all the creatures that lurked in the catacombs that someone was intruding. The Fellowship glared at Peregrin Took. Elysium took out her bow, ready for a stationary fight.

"You fool of a Took." Gandalf slammed the journal shut. "Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity." He yelled. Pippin grimaced.

"There is a chance there might not be a next time." She said, glancing around, hearing the slight pound of footfalls. "Lower your voices." She drew an arrow and knocked it, pulling the string back and aiming. It became louder and louder. Boromir pulled the hobbits behind him, drawing his broad sword. The screeching became evident.

Frodo's sword glowed blue. "Frodo!" he pointed at it. "Orcs!"

"Get back!" Aragorn ordered. "Stay close to Gandalf!" he pushed the hobbits toward the wizard. Legolas and Elysium began firing arrows at the orcs, while Aragorn and Boromir charged into battle. The hobbits drew their swords. Disgusting bodies fell to the ground. Each member of the Fellowship was fighting for his or her lives. Gimli threw his ax at the troll's meaty legs. Legolas fired aimlessly at it. Aragorn, Gandalf, and the hobbits fought the orcs.

Elysium jumped onto the troll's giant hammer and climbed sloppily up its arm. She took out her hunting knives and stabbed him into his neck. The troll cried out in rage. It threw her off his neck. Elysium slammed hard into the stonewall. Legolas took his eyes off the troll and saw her sliding down the wall. "Elys-" he yelled. The troll slammed him into the opposite wall. Aragorn grabbed a bow and fired at the monster. The troll swung his chain, trying to hit the small creatures. Legolas dodged it. The troll swung it, and the chain wrapped around a column. Legolas climbed up it and fired arrow after arrow into its face.

Sam smacked the smelly orcs with his trusty frying pan. He knew it would come in handy one day on their journey. An orc dragged itself up behind Samwise. With a knife in its hand it slammed down, going to stab Sam, but an arrow pierced its eye; giving Sam a chance to hit it upside the head.

Elysium, with a stone cold glare shot arrows at the offending party with gallons of water in the air, following her every step. It stepped where she stepped, moved where she did. The water incased her like a shell. The orcs' arrows pierced the water shell, but it slowed the weapon down, giving her time to knock it away with a knife.

Elysium raised her arms and the water shot forward, hitting the troll, distracting it from the hobbits. Elysium fell to the ground, exhausted.

Once the troll regained its bearings, it started to swing its hammer aimlessly. It slammed the weapon down separating the hobbits from Frodo and the Ring. Frodo hid behind a column, holding his breath, hoping the troll wouldn't find him. After all, trolls aren't the smartest of creatures in Middle Earth. It bobbed his head left of the column and right of the column, sniffing the air. Frodo moved around the stone when the troll did. He let out a sigh of relief, which gave the troll a sound to go by. It roared in Frodo's face, making the hobbit tumble back onto a pile of rock.

The troll grabbed his leg and began dragging him away. Frodo held onto a ledge, but that wouldn't help him for long. "Aragorn! Aragorn!" he cried. The troll raised its hammer, but dropped it when Frodo cut its hand. Aragorn fought his way over to the hobbit. He stabbed the creature with a long stick whilst Pippin and Merry threw rocks at it.

The troll threw its arm out, pushing Aragorn into the wall. The troll grabbed the stick and swung. Frodo was able to dodge it once, but he was pushed against a wall, trapping him.

And the troll slid the stick through his stomach.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The war room was silent. Members of the Fellowship turned their head to the body lying on the ground. The little hobbit, their friend...was dead. The quest has failed. Rage overtook them. They slashed harder, cut deeper, yelled louder, all for the body on the rubble. All for Frodo Baggins.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The pain was paralyzing. Frodo gasped for breath. Oxygen left his lungs. His brain grew fuzzy. The light faded away. Heat left his body.

His vision went black.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The Fellowship gathered around Frodo. He lay on his stomach with the weapon still in his gut. Aragorn tugged Frodo up and threw the stick away. Frodo gasped and groaned, holding the area he was stabbed.

Everyone sighed in relief. The Ring Bearer was alive. "He's alive." Sam laughed in joy. Frodo tried to regain his breath. "I'm alright." He said and smiled at his companions. "I'm not hurt."

"You should be dead!" Aragorn exclaimed. Elysium reached out and unbuttoned Frodo's shirt. She grinned at the shiny material beneath his shirt. "Our hobbit has many tricks up his sleeve." Frodo touched and poked at the armor. "Mithril. Harder than a dragon scale."

Gimli chuckled gruffly. He smiled beneath his beard. "You are full of surprises Master Baggins." He banged his long ax against the ground. The orc screeching began again. "To the bridge of Khazad-dum!" Gandalf yelled and ran to the passageway. They sprinted with the grey wizard leading them. Frodo and Sam could see the army of orcs trailing behind them.

He could hear the sickening growls and yells. The goblins came from every angle. They rose from the ground. But the Fellowship did not stop. Orcs rose from the ground, crawled down pillars and surrounded the Fellowship, pushing them into a small group. Gandalf, Boromir, and Aragorn slashed their swords.

Legolas and Elysium drew their bows. Gimli growled back at the monsters. And the four little hobbits stood in the middle of the warriors, protecting Frodo and the Ring. The orcs grew closer and closer, until a roar shook them all, even the Fellowship. They scrambled out of sight, not wanting to anger the creature that produced the sound.

Growling came from the corridor in front of them. The orange light became larger and brighter. "What is this new devilry?" Boromir asked Gandalf. He seemed to be the only one who knew what was happening. Gandalf grimaced. This is the thing he had feared when they decided to trek into the mines. "A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world." All of their faces went pale. Aragorn raised his weapon higher with a determined look. "This foe is beyond any of you. Run!" And they did. They ran from the light, not knowing where they were going. The Fellowship came across the end of a walkway. Elysium pulled Boromir back before he fell.

"Lead them on, Aragorn!" Gandalf ordered, leaning against the stone to catch his breath. When Aragorn did not move he shouted again. "Do as I say!" Aragorn took the Fellowship down all of the steep and narrow steps, only a few tripped, but were saved by their companions. Not far a head was a ledge where part of the bridge had broken off.

Legolas jumped to the other edge, gracefully. Elysium backed up and took off, holding her bow in her hand. Legolas caught her with ease. The min started to shake. Rocks fell down from the roof and took off a large piece of the bridge, making it longer and harder to jump. Legolas caught Gandalf as he jumped off. At that time orcs began to fire arrow after arrow at them. Boromir grabbed Merry and Pippin and leaped for the edge.

All that was left was Frodo, Sam, Gimli, and Aragorn. Aragorn threw Sam over easily and turned to Gimli. He put up a hand. "Nobody tosses a dwarf." The dwarf jumped over and began to fall back. Legolas clutched his beard and pulled.

More of the stairs broke off. Aragorn pushed Frodo back and climbed up the steps. The Balrog shook the mines again. Aragorn grabbed Frodo by the shirt. "Steady." Aragorn was taking too long. "Now! Jump now!" Elysium yelled, still firing at the goblins.

The island the two stood on started to break and fall. Frodo tried to steady himself, but everything was moving to fast. Aragorn ordered him to lean forward. As he did the island of rock creaked forward and crashed onto the other side. They leaped with all their might. Legolas caught Aragorn and Elysium caught Frodo. Gandalf pushed them all towards the exit, stumbling down the stairway. The Balrog was still behind them.

"Over the bridge!" he shouted, guiding them with his hands. "Fly!" He stopped in front of the Balrog. It burst through the fire and roared. They went for the bridge with Elysium and Gandalf trailing behind. The Balrog was on their tail. It was so close Elysium could feel its heat.

Legolas, Boromir, Pippin, Merry, Sam, Frodo, Aragorn, and Elysium ran across the minute bridge. Gandalf stopped before he crossed and crossed his sword and staff. His face took on a fierce and fiery glare, one almost as blazing as the Balrog. "You cannot pass!" he screamed. Elysium and Frodo tried calling for the wizard. Gandalf paid them no attention. The Balrog stood up, towering over everything.
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." His staff glowed. "The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun." The Balrog raised its fiery sword and hit down on Gandalf staff. "Go back to the Shadow." He growled. The flame monster slashed a whip. "You shall not pass!"

Its nostrils flared. It stepped onto the bridge, but immediately fell. It could not hold him. Gandalf did not watch his foe fall. He turned his back and made his way to the others. He did not see the whip that latched onto his ankle.

He dropped his staff and sword, as the Balrog yanked him down. Gandalf held onto the ledge for as long at he could. He stared at the face of his companions, his friends. He stared at their pale and shaken faces; their horrified gazes. He could not hear their screams, but he could see them. Frodo tried to rip out of Elysium's arms. Gandalf could see his agony, his tears. He only said one thing. "Fly, you fools." Before letting go and falling into the fiery pits of Hell.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Elysium dragged Frodo away from the sight of Gandalf's death. She had known him as Frodo did. Maybe not as well, but he was still her friend. Frodo thrashed in her hold, kicking and screaming for Gandalf. She carried him out, yelling for Aragorn. He stood paralyzed, staring at the ledge. The Fellowship stumble out and fell onto the rocks. All of them, wept for their friend. They cried for the man they'd never see again. They would never see his twinkling eyes. Or his long tangled grey beard. Or his endearing smile. Gandalf was gone.

And the Fellowship of the Ring did not think they were ever going to see him again.