Chapter 9: Homework and Healing

Lucy Pov

I was in the kitchen fixing dinner. Even though my head hurt. My dad and I still needed to eat. I was kinda bummed while making dinner. Natsu still hadn't texted me back yet. Maybe he wasn't going to text me. I sigh and place a bowl of food on the table.

I heard the front door open and my dad walk inside.

"Hey Lucy! How are you feeling kiddo?" My father asked walking into the kitchen.

I put more food on the table and turned to look at him. I smiled and spoke.

"Hey dad. I have a bit of a headache but I am okay. Dinner's almost ready."

He came up to me and gave me a hug, kissing my forehead.

"Sorry you're not feeling well, and sorry I wasn't able to come get you. Smells good. Can I help with anything?"

"It's okay dad, I know you have been busy." I laugh a little. "And there is no way I would trust you with food. Can you set the table though?"

"Sure. No problem Lucy."

My dad releases me from our hug and walks over to the cupboard. He grabs two plates and two cups. The timer on the oven goes off and I walked over to turn it off. I grab an oven mitt and open the oven. As the oven door opens, a heavenly aura escapes. I grab the dish and place it on the stove top. After turning the oven off I place a hot pad on the table and move the hot dish on top of it.

Once the table is set both me and my dad sit down. We start dishing up and he creates conversation.

"So how was school Lucy? Did you happen to stay the whole day?"

I plop some food down on my plate and look up at him.

"Actually I didn't....Natsu....took me home."

I look down, with a blush on my face and take a bite.

"Oh he is such a gentleman. That's very nice of him."

I nod my head shyly. I wish I wasn't talking about this with my dad. It's embarrassing. I wonder if he knows I like him. I just sit quietly and eat my food. Not a lot of conversation is had the rest of dinner. As I am eating my last bite of food I feel my phone buzz. It must be from Levy. I set my fork down and grab my phone from my pocket. I unlock my phone and see who the message was from.

Natsu: Hey Lucy. Sorry for taking so long to text you. I had school and then basketball practice. How's your head doing?

I froze in my seat, staring at my phone. I couldn't process the fact that NATSU DRAGNEEL HAD TEXTED ME BACK. Not long after me reading the text I felt something bump my shoulder.

"Are you ok Lucy?"

I then finally snapped out of my thoughts. I shook my head slightly and then looked up at my father.

"What...oh...yea I am fine...sorry."

My father looked at me with a worried expression.

"Hey head up to your room and I will put dinner away and do the dishes."

I looked up at him and shook my head no.

"I am really fine let me help."

I stood up slowly and my dad hooked his hand under my elbow.

"No Lucy, you have a concussion and even had to leave school early. You should have been taking it easy but you haven't. So go up to your room to relax. I got this sweetie."

I sigh but agreed. "Fine."

I then left then the kitchen and walk up to my bedroom. I layed on my stomach on my bed and grabbed my phone from my back pocket. I unlocked it and reread Natsu's text another 10 million times. I finally took a deep breath and with shaky fingers started a reply.