15 ~ Paranoia

It's been a week since I got the text.

A week of silence around mom on the rare occasion she's not working. A week of hushed whispers between me and Gentry, hoping Garner doesn't overhear our worries. A week of the Jones family trying to keep an eye on us to make sure we don't crumble.

A week of being paranoid every time I step outside. Terrified that he'll have the guts to show up.

"Jo, I need help." Seth lands into the seat next to me, causing me to jump.

"Shit." I mutter, trying to dry the coffee I spilt before Mrs. Mendoza finds out. She lets me drink in the library and I don't want to lose that privilege.

A napkin is handed to me as my books are moved and I flash Jay an appreciative smile. The rest of my friends don't know about the text, but they know enough to assume.

"Cutie, what's wrong?" Beau asks, brushing my hair out of my face.

"Just a little wound up." I assure him before turning to Seth. "What can I help with?"

Beau doesn't push the matter, resting a hand on my leg as I work.

*****

The ride home is silent. Aspen keeps glancing at me in a silent debate.

"Spit it out." I demand, hating that he's trying to censor himself. He only does that when he thinks I'm upset.

Which I'm not.

"Has he texted again?" Took him long enough to ask.

"No." Thank God.

"Promise me–"

"I promise I'll tell you the second he does." After I have another freak out that no one gets to see.

Pressing his lips into a fine line, he nods and unlocks the truck door. Getting out, I offer him a wave as Houston comes to take my spot.

"I love you, Jo." He whispers, hugging me tightly.

Wrapping my arms around the equivalent of my second younger brother, I force a smile. "I love you too, bro."

Watching them drive off, I try to ignore the part of me that wants to cry.

My brothers are waiting for me on the porch and I hurry to unlock the door. The house is silent. Garner running to swap laundry because chores have become our focus.

We can clean all we want but it doesn't get rid of our dirty laundry.

I freeze in the kitchen when I find mom hunched over the table.

Checking to make sure the back door is locked, I run for her. "Momma."

She doesn't move and I let the panic take over.

"Mom, wake up." I shake her, refusing to move when Gentry tries to stop me.

"Mom." He shakes her shoulder, finally getting her to wake up.

Blinking as she adjusts to the light, I want to cry even harder. Out of relief that she's okay or despair when I notice how weak and tired she looks.

"What happened?"

"We were about to ask you the same question." Gentry counters, fixing her a glass of water.

"I just laid down for a minute." She looks around before fixating on the clock. "I have work in twenty minutes."

She tries to stand up and I hold her down. "Momma, take the night off."

"I can't do that. I'm making time and a half tonight." She protests and I want to pull my hair out.