7 - a toast

last wedding speech guys

should i write wedding speeches as a side job, oml

December 31, 2019 - 9:00pm

After disappearing up the stairs, the wedding party took photos with the happy couple on the hotel's ornate balcony overlooking the decorated lobby. The guests were busy finding their seats and tables in the reception area of the enormous wedding hall while hotel employees cleared away the chairs used during the ceremony (this space would now be open for the dance floor).

Yoongi hoped that his nerves after seeing Hoseok weren't apparent, that he wasn't ruining his best friends' wedding photos forever. He tried to maintain a consistent smile that hopefully didn't look too forced. And while it was torture to keep smiling and posing (he hated taking photos and being in front of a camera in general) with the group, a part of Yoongi hoped it would take as long as possible because he had no idea what to do or say if Hoseok approached him back in the reception hall.

But clearly, despite how eager Jimin was for the wedding party to bring to life as many different poses as his beautiful mind could imagine, the photo session did have to end at some point. It was time to rejoin the wedding guests for speeches, a late dinner, and dancing before counting down to the new year.

Namjoon, Jimin, Taehyung, Yoongi, and the rest of the wedding party re-entered the wedding hall, generating another round of cheers for the newlyweds. The couple walked hand-in-hand to the head table where they sat with their families and Yoongi followed Taehyung to their table.

Yoongi looked around the hall, searching - but not finding - Hoseok. He made the rounds with his eyes quickly, just once more.

Maybe he left.

Yoongi wasn't sure if he was upset or relieved at this thought.

He continued following Taehyung and then immediately slowed his steps until he came to a halt, causing another groomsman to bump into him.

"Sorry," he gestured vaguely.

Ahead of him, Taehyung took off his gold-colored suit jacket and settled in his seat next to his plus-one.

Next to Hoseok.

[ how could anyone survive this? ]

Somewhere, in the fog that clouded his brain, he registered that Namjoon was speaking. And Yoongi was just standing there. He quickly took his seat which, of-fucking-course, was right next to Taehyung as indicated by the elegant script on the place card.

"Jimin and I would like to thank all of you for coming, for supporting us always and sharing this night with us. We're going to have a couple of speeches in a moment, from Jimin's father, from the maid-of-honor and then my best man - but then we'll have dinner and you're all welcome to move about freely."