11 - speak now (or forever hold your peace)

December 31, 2019 - 10:30pm

"I'm coming with you."

"Why?"

Hoseok blinked at him. Why was Yoongi making this so difficult?

"You shouldn't be out here alone."

"Fine." Yoongi tugged the younger man's hand, causing his mind to scream at him.

At how warm his touch still was. At the way their hands still fit together, like long lost puzzle pieces. At how this was a terrible idea.

Something that never changed between them was the way they could fall into sync with their steps. Becoming a unit. Inseparable.

Like riding a bike. Wasn't that the saying?

Falling back into rhythm with Hoseok was easy no matter how much time passed, a lazarus effect on his muscle memory allowing him to move with him effortlessly. Allowing his body to respond just like it used to.

Tonight was no different.

Hoseok was glad for the slippery asphalt, a reason to hold Yoongi closer to him. An opportunity to search his features while he was distracted, concentrating on walking the icy path.

He looked... irritated. Disappointed that Hoseok wouldn't go away. Wouldn't let go of his hand.

Damn right, he wouldn't.

"Where are we going anyway?"

"I was going to my car. I think it's that one."

"You think?"

"It's a rental, give me a break!"

The rapper unlocked the doors of the car and opened the driver's side. Hoseok walked around to the other side and got in.

Both of them watched their breaths come out as puffs in the air before Yoongi turned the key in the ignition, allowing the heat to come on.

The older man tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. He couldn't very well smoke now, so he'd hold off longer.

In the compact space of the car the scent of Hoseok's cologne hit him. The same one he always wore. It was intoxicating. Yoongi closed his eyes as behind his lids he replayed the mornings waking up on Hoseok's chest, the lingering hugs, the warmth of lips and slow hands.

Yoongi could feel his mind going to places it shouldn't and all he wanted was to fall deep into the familiar feeling.

But he knew he couldn't.

So instead, he tried in vain to fill the quiet by turning on the radio in the rental car. But now... Hoseok had songs that reminded him of someone else since Yoongi. He had songs that he could no longer listen to.

So did Yoongi.

They sat in the car in silence for a while not really knowing what to do to follow the realization.

Hoseok cleared his throat, "So... how are you doing?"

Yoongi didn't know if it was that he'd already had a few drinks or the fact that the warmth of Hoseok's body was permeating into his personal space - but he literally could not think clearly enough to answer that question.

How was he doing?

He was meant to be best man at his best friend's wedding tonight. Check.

He was meant to give his most moving of speeches. Done.

The rest of the night was supposed to consist of feeling sorry for his single-self, drinking some complimentary drinks, having dinner and going upstairs early to hibernate. He hadn't even planned to count down to the new year - well, maybe if Jimin really insisted.