I Already Knew

Second Officer, Ka Soojin has his boats swung out. He is standing amidst a crowd of uncertain passengers in all states of dress and undress. One first class woman in barefoot. Others are in stockings. The maitre of the restaurant is in top hat and overcoat. Others are still in evening dress, while some are in bathrobes and kimonos. Women are wearing lifebelts over velvet gowns, then topping it with sable stoles. Some brought jewels, others books, even small dogs. 

Ka sees Kye walking stiffly toward him and quickly goes to him. He yells into the Captain's ear, through cupped hands, over the roar of the steam... "Hadn't we better get the women and children into the boats, sir?"

Kye just nods, a bit abstractly. The fire has gone out of him. Ka sees the awesome truth in Kye's face. He then turns to the other officers and seamen on the deck. "Right! Start the loading. Women and children!"

The appalling din of escaping abruptly cuts off, leaving a sudden unearthly silence in which Ka's voice echoes. 

Woo Hwan raises his violin to play. "Number twenty-six. Ready, and-"

The band has reassembled just outside the First Class Entrance, port side, near where Ka is calling for the boats to be loaded. They strike up a waltz, lively and elegant. The music wafts all over the ship.

"Ladies, please. Step into the boat." Ka orders. 

Finally one woman steps across the gap, into the boat, terrified of the drop of the water far below.

A random woman in the crowd moans out, "You watch. They'll put us off in these silly little boats to freeze, and we'll all be back on board by breakfast."

Pilwoo, Jimin and Mijeong come out of the doors near the band.

"My brooch, I left my brooch. I must have it!" Jimin's mother cries out. She turns back to go to her room but Pilwoo takes her by the arm, refusing to let her go. The firmness of his hold surprises her.

"Stay here, Mijeong."

Mijeong sees his expression, and knows fear for the first time.

゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。

Inside Steerage, it is complete chaos, with stewards pushing their way through narrow corridors clogged with people carrying suitcases, duffel bags, children. Some have lifebelts on, others don't.

One steward turns to another. "I told the stupid sods no luggage. Aw, bloody hell!" He throws up his hand at the sight of a family, loaded down with cases and bags, completely blocking the corridor.

Hoseok, Jungkook and Seokjin push past the stewards, going the other way. They reach a huge crows gathered at the bottom of the main third class stair well. Hoseok spots Helga with the rest of the Dahl family, standing patiently with suitcases in hand. He reaches her and she grins, hugging him. 

Jungkook pushes to where he can see what's holding up the group. There is a steel gate across the top of the stairs, with several stewards and seamen on the other side.

One steward is trying to reassure the large crowd. "Stay calm, please. It's not time to go up to the boats yet."

Near Jungkook, and Irish woman stands stoically with two small children and their battered luggage. Her little boy turns to him mum, and says, "What are we doing, mummy?"

"We're just waiting, dear. When they finish putting First Class people in the boats, they'll be startin' with us, and we'll want to be all ready, won't we?"

On the Starboard side of the ship, boat seven is less than half full, with twenty-eight aboard a boat made for sixty-five.

First Officer Wang is there, shouting out orders. "Lower away! By the left and right together, steady lads!"