Min Jimin

"Fifteen hundred people went into the sea when Titanic sank from under us. There were twenty seven boats floating nearby and only one came back. One. Six were saved from the water, myself included. Six out of fifteen hundred."

Jimin stares at the faces watching him. Tonghyun, Lewis, Heechul, the others... the reality of what happened here eighty four years before has hit them like never before. With his story, Jimin has put them on Titanic in its final hours, and for the first time, they do feel like grave-robbers. 

Kyong Tonghyun, for the first time, has even forgotten to ask about the diamond. 

Jimin continues. "Afterward, the seven hundred people in the boats had nothing to do but wait... wait to die, wait to live, wait for an absolution which would never come."

゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。☆。・゛★゛・。

Jimin's memory dissolves into one another: A ship's hull looming, with the letters Carpathia visible on the bow - Jimin watching, rocked by the sea, his face blank - Seamen helping survivors up the rope ladder to the Carpathia's gangway doors - Two women crying and hugging each other inside the ship. 

Jimin is outside of time, outside of himself, coming into Carpathia, barely able to stand. He's being draped with warm blankets and given hot tea. Somun Yongjoon climbs aboard. He has the face and eyes of a damned soul. 

As Somun walks along the hall, guided by a crewman toward the doctor's cabin, he passes rows of seated and standing widows. He must run the gauntlet of their accusing gazes.

It is the afternoon of the fifteenth. Pilwoo is searching the faces lining the deck, looking for Jimin. The deck of Carpathia is crammed with huddled people, and even the recovered lifeboats of Titanic. On a hatch cover sits an enormous pile of lifebelts.

He keeps walking toward the stern. Seeing Pilwoo's tuxedo, a steward approaches him. "You won't find any of your people back here, sir. It's all steerage."

Pilwoo ignores him and goes amongst this wrecked group, looking under shawls and blankets at one bleak face after another.

Jimin is sipping hot tea. His eyes focus on his father as he approaches him. Pilwoo barely recognizes Jimin. His son looks like a refugee, his matted hair hanging in his eyes.

"Yes, I lived. How awkward for you." Jimin snaps.

"Jimin... your mother and I have been looking for you-"

Jimin holds up his hand, stopping him. "Please don't. Don't talk. Just listen. We will make a deal, since that is something you understand. From this moment you do not exist for me, nor I for you. You shall not see me again. And you will not attempt to find me. In return I will keep my silence. Your actions last night need never come to light, and you will get to keep the honor you have carefully purchased." Jimin fixes him with a glare as cold and hard as the ice which changed their lives. "Is this in any way unclear?"

After a long pause, Pilwoo finally speaks. "What do I tell your mother?"

"Tell her that his son died with the Titanic." Jimin stands, turning to the rail. Dismissing him. 

Pilwoo is stricken with emotion. "You're precious to me, Jimin."

"Jewels are precious. Goodbye, Father."

Written on Pilwoo's face, you can see that in his way, the only way he knows, he does truly love Jimin. But after watching his son go, he turns and walks away.