You Jump, I Jump

On the port side, Ho Sungchul is getting people into Boat Two. He keeps his pistol in his hand at this point. Twenty feet below them the sea is pouring into the doors and windows of B deck staterooms. Everyone can hear the roar of water cascading into the ship. 

"Women and children, please. Women and children only. Step back, sir."

Even with Yoongi's arms wrapped around him, Jimin is shivering in the cold. Near him a woman with two young daughters looks into the eyes of her husband she knows she may not see again.

"Goodbye for a little while... only for a little while." The husband then turns to his two little girls. "Go with mummy."

The woman stumbles to the boat with her children, hiding her tears from them. Beneath the false good cheer, the man is choked with emotion. "Hold mummy's hand and be a good girl. That's right."

Some of the women are stoic, others are overwhelmed by emotion and have to be helped into the boats. A man scribbles a note and hands it to a woman who is about to board. "Please get this to my wife in DeMoines, Iowa."

Yoongi looks and Jungkook, Jin and Hoseok. "You better check out the other side."

They nod and run off, searching for a way around the deckhouse.

By them Pom Hyo ushers Jimin forward towards a boat. No one is letting men on board yet, but with Pom in charge he allows the Young Lord to aboard. 

Yoongi ushers Jimin towards it. "Get in the boat, Jimin." 

"I'm not going without you."

"Get in the boat, Jiminie."

Pilwoo walks up just then. "Yes. Get in the boat, Jimin."

Jimin is shocked to see him. He steps instinctively closer to Yoongi. Pilwoo looks at him, standing there shivering in his thin wet shirt and trousers.

"My God, look at you." Pilwoo takes off his coat. "Here, put this on."

Jimin numbly shrugs into it. Pilwoo is doing it for modesty not for the cold.

"Quickly. Step into the boat. Hurry, please!" Pom calls.

"Go on. I'll get the next one." Yoongi pleads.

"No. Not without you!" Jimin doesn't even care that Pilwoo is standing right there. His father sees the emotion between Yoongi and Jimin and his jaw clenches. But then he leans close to his son and says, low, "There are boats on the other side that are allowing men in. Yoongi and I can get off safely. Both of us."

Yoongi smiles reassuringly. "I'll be alright. Hurry up so we can get going, we got our own boat to catch."

"Get in... hurry up, it's almost full." Pilwoo urges.

Pom Hyo grabs Jimin's arm and pulls him toward the boat. Jimin reaches out for Yoongi and his fingers brush his for a moment. Then he finds himself stepping down into the boat. It's all a rush and blur.

"Lower away!" Ho Sungchul shouts.

Jimin's two men watch at the rail as the boat begins to descend.

Pilwoo mutters low to Yoongi beside him. "You're a good liar."

"Almost as good as you."

"I always win, Min. One way or another." Pilwoo then looks at Yoongi, smiling. "Pity I didn't keep that drawing. It's going to be worth a lot more by morning."

Yoongi knows he is screwed. He looks down at Jimin, not wanting to waste a second of his last view of him.

The ropes go through the pulleys as the seamen start to lower. All sound is leaving Jimin's world. Ho Sungchul gives orders, his lips moving, but Jimin hears only the blood pounding in his ears. This cannot be happening. A rocket bursts above in slow-motion, outlining Yoongi in a halo of light. Jimin's hair blows in slow-motion as he gazes up at him, descending away from him. He sees Yoongi's hand trembling, the tears at the corners of his eyes, and cannot believe the unbearable pain he is feeling.