Four

I get out of the car first, feeling too much like I'm intruding on something.

Romero immediately pulls me against his chest. "We were scared Diana was going to pull something. That stupid text had us worried."

"I'm fine, I guess-"

"Who is she?" Seven asks. Expression shifting as he swipes a blade from Romero's pocket. His bare feet crush into the freshly formed snow. His nose and ears are pink.

They were worried about me. Too worried to put on shoes before coming to see me. Seven opens the passenger's seat door and stares at the unknown girl.

"Put the knife down," Von demands as he gets out of the car.

"Are you out of your fucking mind?" The younger's laughter catches me off guard. He grabs his stomach and doubles over.

"Von, what's going on?" Romero still has his arms around me. It's freezing out here.

"You've finally lost it— after everything that happened. You're crazy, no, no, you're a hypocrite!"

"Shut up, Seven." Von says through the younger's hysterics.

Seven's gripping the knife tight and holding the door open with his other hand. His body in between Von and the saved stripper.

The front door opens again and it's L who stumbles out this time. "Rosemary?"

I remember now, that's her name. Her expression changes to one of shock as she looks over L's half mechanic body and places both hands over her mouth.

"Oh, so you know her too?" Seven turns towards him. Throws the blade up before catching it an inch away from Rosemary's face and making her flinch.

It's enough to make Von push him out of the way and at this point I'm desperate for answers too.

"Who is she, Von?" I ask as I pull away from Romero. If he and L know her she must be somewhat important.

"Let's talk about this inside." He goes to help Rosemary up like she's some sick puppy and I'm almost as pissed off as Seven by the way he brushed me off.

I can't tell if Seven's shaking because of the cold or his anger. His gaze is hard against Von's pale skin and the grip on his knife is paling his knuckles as he shoves his way inside.

We're all seated in the living room and still no questions have been answered.

"You almost killed Mia. High schooler, pizza delivery girl. But you rescue a fucking stripper tied to this TL human trafficking bullshit. She's probably fucking chipped Von! They treat their girls like animals!"

"You don't think I know that?!" Von almost screams at Romero but his volume doesn't quite reach. He runs his hands through damp hair to calm himself down. "Rosemary used to be a member of the gang."

Seven scoffs beside me. He hasn't let go of his knife yet and he's practically seething.

"Diana knew this when she sent him in. She's testing us," L speaks up.

"Von," Seven calls. "She was testing Von and he failed. If all of us had a say in this she'd be dead by now, not bringing the TL's to our doorstep."

"I won't let you-"

Seven is up and a gun is pointed at Rosemary before I can even blink.

"Calm down, Seven." L speaks up, almost gets up before stopping himself.

"Von, they're going to come looking for her. You've killed us all," Seven speaks slowly, almost like he's considering L's words.

He has to be considering them. He won't kill her, right?