Eight

The first thing I notice is Von's smile. The way it comes and goes, transforms his aura into something kinder than what it really is. In passing, I see the bronze splayed across his nose bridge as if flicked there by a paintbrush. I see the lighter shades of blue in his irises even when he's not looking at me.

"You're great," he speaks through his smile, words not meant for me. His tattooed hands hover over  Rosemary's body, not quite touching, not yet. "How are you still so good at this?" How can he smile at a time like this?

Rosemary squeezes his arm. It's something between gratitude and adoration as her fingers dig into the white fabric.

"Mia, I asked how's your leg?" L approaches me after not getting a response. I didn't even hear him earlier.

A silenced gunshot goes off but it's enough to steal my attention. Of course, it lands perfectly in the center, a fatal shot. Von holds Rosemary's waist, beams at her, squeezes her.

"Stop touching her," I whisper, as his hands linger, as his smile lingers. As the new practice room, modern grey and white and open space, completely swallows my voice. As I think about how Von hasn't acknowledged me since I've been here. "Stop!"

Only Rosemary and L actually stop to stare at me. Still I only look at Von.

I only speak to Von. "Why are you doing this?"

The smile is gone from his face. Replaced by the scowl I'm used to. When I say his real name, when I swear at him. He finally looks at me.

Rosemary types something up on her phone as I approach them. She only shows it to him. It doesn't matter. I don't even try to read the message. I take her phone from her hand, feeling my nails scratch against her in the process. Von grabs me but it's too late. I throw it hard against the floor and it shatters.

L shoots up. Von grabs me tighter. Rosemary doesn't take her eyes off of me as he drags me off into a different room. I almost laugh at her dumbass facial expression. I just broke her phone, her only means of communication, and all she can do is stare at me.

"What is wrong with you?" Von's voice is low as he glares down at me. Finally releasing his grip when I wince. It's been too long since he's touched me. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the pain.

"You expect for me to be okay after everything? How are you smiling and laughing with her right now? Seven is gone!"

"This is about Seven?" He takes a threatening step towards me.

I stutter as I stare at his chest, the exposed ink more eye level and somehow less intimidating.

"It was never about him. Now lower your fucking voice when you talk to me," Von says. He's towering over me and looking down with shattered skies in his eyes and venom on his lips. He's angry. But so am I.

I place my hands on his shoulders and pull myself up as I practically whisper. "How's this?"

He pushes my hands off of him but our distance remains.

"Of course," I force out a laugh. "You like girls who don't talk back, who can't talk back."

Each step that he takes towards me has me taking one backwards. I went too far. When I make contact with the wall, he pulls me forward by my shirt, before shoving me back so that I hit it again.