Spell, Stun and Dodge

With another session of detention looming over them, Nico and Will tried to get through the rest of the day without freaking out. At least, Piper and Jason tried to not freak out for them. Nico and Will were not freaking out at all.

Nico was fuming. Still. And Will was dazed and suffering some kind of affect of the lack of oxygen for an extended period of time, but they passed Madam Pomphrey in the hall and she said he'd be fine, it was nothing to worry about. Nico hadn't let go of his hand.

He was okay by the end of the day.

The crack in the centre of the Great Hall had been repaired with a few spells from McGonagall and Flitwick, but rumours had spread faster than lightning, going from year to year, student to student, until the whole school knew about the incident. At lunch, Nico ate in silence, listening to the whispers around the entire hall and the heads turning in his direction. One kid actually stood up to point Nico out to his friend.

Nico, Will, Jason and Piper all looked up at the doors to the Dark Arts classroom after the last period, a collective feeling of dread washing over them.

Will took Nico's hand and gave it a small squeeze.

"No killing anyone," he said with a tight smile.

"No promises," Nico replied before opening the door, letting go of Will's hand.

The Dark Arts room had been assembled like a boxing ring; a risen platform in the centre of the room with the desks and chairs whisked away out of sight. Students of all ages were assembled around the platform in small discussion with each other. The majority of students were Slytherin and Gryffindor, but there were a few Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs scattered around. The demigod group recognised a few students from their late night detention; the ones who hadn't finished up detention and still had a few weeks to go. Nat and Jack were towards the back in a hushed conversation but when Nico, Jason, Will and Piper walked in, they gave a small wave.

"So, what? We're going to fight each other?" Jason asked.

"This week of detention," came Amycus' booming voice, frightening the little first years. Heads turned to find him standing on the dais at the front of the classroom,"will focus on perfecting the imperius curse. Could the seventh years who are not in detention please step onto the platform?"

Piper and Jason moved with the other seventh years, including Crabbe and Goyle. Nico twisted his ring around his finger, ready to draw it. But Will's hand on his shoulder caused him to falter. Just a little. Maybe this wasn't the right time to kill Crabbe.

He knew it wasn't; he felt the same aura around Crabbe as he did with Fred and Mad-Eye. He also felt it when he stood too close to Snape, and even when he walked through the hallway between classes. There was a very big battle coming to Hogwarts and not everyone was going to make it out alive. But that battle wasn't going to happen for a while yet; six months away at most, based on the strength of the aura. And so maybe he could wait just a little longer to kill Crabbe.

"You were all chosen this morning based on your skill in casting the imperius curse," Amycus said as the doors opened again and in waltzed his sister, Alecto. He gave her a small nod before continuing, "This afternoon and for the next few weeks you will assist Professor Carrow and I as we deliver punishment to these misfit delinquents in detention."

Piper's stomach dropped and, not for the first time in her life, she wished she hadn't used her charmspeak.

"Find one of the detention students and pair up," Amycus continued. The seventh years looked gingerly around at the kids in detention, who all had found sudden interest in the floor. Piper and Jason moved first towards Will and Nico, which broke whatever spell that was on the students, and the other seventh years moved to find a partner. As soon as everyone had paired up; Crabbe had found a poor sixth year Gryffindor boy; Alecto spoke.