Holiday

Holiday

"And what," Lotor asked, "Is the point of this?"

"It's Christmas!" Pidge said cheerfully, hanging a colored orb onto a tree.

"And why are we celebrating it?"

"Because it's fun," Shiro said. "And it's good for team bonding."

"And it's the best time for holiday treats!" Hunk added, walking into the room with a plate of Earth cookies.

"I like it because it reminds me of home," Lance said, wrapping a gift in colorful paper with an amazing amount of difficulty.

"It's an integral part of Earthling culture," Allura chimed in. "Keith's been teaching me all about how it was stolen by the Christians so they could replace a holiday called Yule."

"Keith," Shiro sighed, "Please promise me you won't start that debate again this year."

Keith shrugged and sat down next to Lotor. He began braiding tinsel into Lotor's hair. "I'm not saying anything that isn't true."

"You say it every year."

"Well, it's true every year."

"Is this a routine thing?" Lotor asked.

"Ever since Adam taught him about Christmas's roots when he was little."

Lotor turned his head back to Keith. "I bet you were adorable."

"I was."

"However, I was asking about 'Christmas.' Is it a routine holiday?"

"Yeah." Pidge answered. "Humans celebrate it every year. Not every human, just ones who want to. It's become less of a religious tradition and more of a secular celebration. My family celebrates Hanukkah, too."

"From what Keith's explained to me, it's sort of like the Altean winter festival," Allura explained. "Gifts are exchanged, songs are sung, etcetera."

Lotor nodded. He decided not to remind the princess that he had never been to an Altean winter festival, only read about them.

"Yeah!" Lance cheered. "Guess who just finished wrapping his gifts! Loverboy Lance!"

"Nice!" Hunk said, "What did you get everyone?"

Lance wagged a finger back and forth. "Nuh uh. It's a surprise."

"You wrapped them out here with everyone watching," Keith pointed out, tying Lotor's braid in place with a bow.

"No one was paying attention."

"I just don't get it." Lotor said. "There's nothing to celebrate. It's just merriment for the sake of merriment."

Hunk walked over to him and held out his plate of Earth cookies. "Maybe these will change your mind."

Lotor didn't see how an Earth cookie could make him understand the reasoning behind the revelry, but he didn't want to offend Hunk, so he took one.

Lotor took a bite and then looked at Keith. "I've changed my mind. These 'cookies' in of themselves are cause enough for merriment."