Marriage

Notes: This fic is a continuation of day six (Alliance), focusing on the night after the wedding.

The dinner went better than Lotor thought it would. Zarkon hadn't made any comments about wishing Lotor had married Allura, and Honerva seemed to be quite fond of Krolia.

Lotor thought back to when the idea of marriage had been forced upon him. He hadn't been fond of the idea, but as long as he was going to marry Princess Allura as was planned, he wouldn't complain. He and Allura weren't interested in each other that way, but at least Lotor wouldn't have to marry a stranger.

Then he found out that King Alfor and Queen Melanor weren't forcing Allura to marry anyone, and she was going to focus on her studies instead.

"Why does she get to refuse marriage?" Lotor had complained, "But I don't even get to chose whom I marry?"

"Because Alfor and Melanor don't need an heir," His mother had answered, "And they're raising Allura differently than we raised you."

"But-"

"Do not raise your voice at your mother." Zarkon interrupted, even though Lotor hadn't raised his voice. (Last time he did that, it hadn't ended well for him. He did not wish to repeat that ordeal.) "You are getting married to a young man named Keith. That is final."

"You two will be so cute together," Honerva cooed, "He graduated top of his class at Diabazol piloting school, he's very attractive, and he's a hybrid, too."

Honerva held up a hologram picture of Keith.

"He looks and sounds lovely," Lotor admitted, "But I still-"

"This isn't about you, Lotor." Honerva said, "You know your father is not of good health. We need someone to take over the throne."

Lotor hadn't responded. But now that he had met Keith, he was much more hopeful about the whole situation.

The wedding itself was beautiful. Keith wore a long veil as was traditional, and Lotor wore a similarly traditional hat that he was not fond of because it made his face look far too long. At least it wasn't as hideous as Dayak's hat, which looked as if it had a taxidermy bird on top of it.

After Keith and Lotor said their vows (Keith sounded very unenthusiastic, but no one in the aisles seemed to notice), they had to greet the guests so everyone could congratulate them on their union, as if it was something they had accomplished and not a wedding they had nothing to do with except being the grooms.

"Prince Lotor!" Lotor heard Dayak call from behind him.

"Oh no," Lotor groaned. He plastered on a fake smile and turned to his governess. "Dayak! How have you been lately?"

"Oh, you know how it is getting older."

Lotor didn't, but decided it would be easier to just agree. "I do indeed."

"Have you been maintaining your studies since you graduated?"

"I've been a bit busy planning the wedding, Dayak." Lotor lied, hoping to leave this conversation as soon as possible. "But I'm planning on getting back into them as soon as my dear Keith and I have settled into married life."

"Excellent. Say, where is the lucky young Galra?"

Dayak walked off to find Keith, who Lotor had no doubt was hiding somewhere. He only wished he could do the same.

Keith's mother and brother both gave beautiful speeches that Keith did not seem to enjoy. Zarkon and Honerva also gave a speech, along with King Alfor and Queen Melenor. They talked about how Lotor had grown up so fast, and how it seemed like just yesterday he was learning how to hold a sword. Lotor felt about as happy about this memory as Keith looked.

Finally Lotor and Keith were allowed to go back to their bedroom. Lotor was so exhausted from the day that even the floor was beginning to look like a comfortable napping spot.

Keith looked even more tired than Lotor felt, which was saying something.

"I imagine you're very tired," Lotor said, handing Keith his pajamas to change into and turning around to give him some privacy. "Would you like to call up for some tea before you go to sleep? I can show you how, if you'd like."

"I'd rather not have anyone come up here," Keith's slightly muffled voice said through the fabric of the pajamas that were being pulled over his head, "It's bad enough for one person to see me naked."

Lotor frowned, even though he knew Keith couldn't see his face. "What do you mean? Who are you planning on seeing you naked?"

"Uh, you?" Keith answered, "When we have sex tonight."

"Hav-" Lotor asked before cutting himself off.

'Obviously,' Lotor thought, 'How did that evade my mind?'

"Oh dear," Lotor said, "There seems to have been a misunderstanding. I assumed you didn't want to consummate our marriage tonight, based on our conversation at the park."

"You didn't misunderstand," Keith assured him, "I don't want to have sex tonight. But I know you probably do."

"That's not a very good reason." Lotor said, "Just because I want to doesn't mean you have to do anything you're not comfortable with before you're comfortable doing it."

"You... aren't going to force me to consummate the marriage?" Keith asked.

Lotor frowned. He knew Keith hadn't been fond of him, but the fact that he thought Lotor was vile enough to force something like that upon him... It truly made Lotor feel nauseous.

"Keith," Lotor said, turning around to see that Keith was now in his pajamas, "I swear, I will never force you to do anything of that sort."

"But the law says-"

"I know what the law says," Lotor cut him off as he walked over to the balcony and looked out onto the courtyard. He clenched his fists around the rail. "But any law that forces sexual relations is a law that needs to be dismantled."

Keith didn't say anything, but his face was one of someone who was considering what had just been said.

"Besides," Lotor said, "My father has no way of knowing that we didn't have intercourse. We could simply go to sleep and tomorrow pretend that we did."

"Or..." Lotor turned back toward Keith, a mischievous glint in his eye, "We could stay up all night talking about that atrocious hat my former governess was wearing at our wedding."

Keith snorted in laughter. "Seriously, what was up with that hat? It looked like she killed a fucking turkey or something."

Lotor laughed at Keith's colorful commentary. He sat back down next to him. "She always did love birds."

"I love my brother, Shiro," Keith said, "But I'm not going to kill him and turn him into a hat."

"I love your hair, but it would be rather cruel to shear it off and make a hat out of it."

"Well, I like your voice, but I'm not going to take out your throat and make it into a necklace."

"I like your last name, but I'm not going to take it."

"Too late. I already took yours."

"Exactly. I couldn't take it even if I wanted to."

"Take this!" Keith said, much to Lotor's confusion. This confusion was soon replaced with indignation, followed by understanding as a pillow hit his face.

"Betrayal!" Lotor squawked, clutching at the pillow on his face. He pulled it away from him and used it to swat Keith in the chest. Soon enough, they were in an all out pillow war, which, in Lotor's opinion, was an excellent way to start a marriage.