1

They were best friends. Since the day they met, they were best friends.

They were eleven, nervous and had just gotten on the train for Hogwarts. Y/n was lost and knew absolutely no one. She was a muggle-born and her parents didn't know anything about magic, and until a few weeks back, she didn't either. She tried to read as many books as possible to understand this hidden world, but she was still scared.

James was a pureblood. Though that never meant anything. Blood status wasn't really a thing for him, he knew about it but didn't care. She read a lot about the issue and felt overwhelmed about her identity. She should probably just not talk about it. At all. To anyone. Right? And the best way to do that was to not talk. At all. To anyone. And the best way to do THAT was to stay away. From everyone. And so she sat alone. Not that she really had any other option.

She had gotten to the train station early and there was practically no one there yet. People started coming in and that's when it all started. A young boy with big glasses and messy hair opened the door and simply sat in front of her after putting his things away.

"Oh. Umm, can I, uhh...Sit??" The unnamed boy said.

"I mean you're already... Sitting... "

"I'm James by the way, and one day I'll be the best quidditch player in the world."

"I'm Y/n, and I think you're a big dreamer, little guy!"

"Is that a bad thing?" He says taunting her.

The door bursts open for a second time.

"HI! I'M SIRIUS AND I HAVE NO FRIENDS!"

"Ummm... Ok? Is it a wizard thing to introduce yourself with a random fact or have I just stumbled on the two weirdest people ever? Not that I wouldn't know, because I was raised a wizard... For sure..."

And that's when they became best friends.

Five years later and they were still as close.

Y/n was waiting for James for their weekly "study dates" which don't really include studying but rather arm wrestle fights, some chess, planning the next prank, or literally anything. Anything other than what they were actually supposed to be doing. But for the first time in all those years, James simply didn't show up.

Study dates have been cancelled before on a few rare occasions, but it was always discussed previously. She waited for two hours before going back to the Gryffindor common room. Y/n wasn't exactly mad, she just didn't understand why he'd do that. He'd never done something like that before and he knew how important these were. It must have been something horribly important or he would have told her like he always did. It wasn't.

Upon entering the common room, Y/n immediately spotted James and Lily on the couch in front of the fire. They had a bunch of textbooks in front of them and seemed to be studying for the next potion's exam.

Now she was mad.

He couldn't study with her because he found another study partner, and that was so messed up. He could go study with anyone else at any other time, but not during THEIR time. It's like he just replaced her. He couldn't have just forgotten, they had been doing this for 73 Fridays, he knew exactly what he was doing.

"Hi, study partner!" She said, purposely scaring him with the fakest smile she could put on.

"Oh... Heeyyyyyy... Yyyyyyy/nnnnn... Study partneeeer..." James answers, adding finger guns for an effect of - you just caught me.

"Yeah! Exactly! It's me! Y/n! Your study partner!"

"We were just... Uhhh..."

"Studying. We were just studying, Y/n." Evans said.