18. THE DRINK AT HAND

REMMI COUGHED INTO HER elbow as Daryl glanced away from the road, rubbing her shoulder and taking her hand. A small group from the prison was going to a veterinarian school, almost six hours away to get medicine for the ones who were sick. Seeing as Dr. S was in a worser condition then Remmi, she decided to go with the group. Hershel, along with everyone, had disagreed with her decision, but it was clear none of them could stop her.

The small group kept walking on the road. Remmi's coughing being the only sound they heard.

"How much longer do you think?" Remmi asked Andrew, the one who was holding the map.

"Shouldn't be too much longer."

They came upon a small gas station soon after, finding a car buried in the midst of tree's and leaves which resulted in a dead battery. Bob and Tyrese along with Daryl, Andrew and Michonne had started pulling on the leaves. Remmi sat on the ground, as ordered by her brother. Ty had been angrily pulling and chopping the branches with his machete. It was expected as Karen had only been dead for a few days.

"Ty," Remmi called, putting her hand over her eyes to get a better look, "We don't know what's in there." When Ty ignored her, she got up and put a hand on his shoulder, causing him to look over his shoulder, pulling her off of him.

As if on cue, a walker came out of the branches, grabbing a hold of Tyrese. The group kept yelling at him, trying to get him to let go, but he refused. Until Michonne saw an in, killing the Walker who had a hold on the man.

"You better not light that Dixon." Remmi said, pulling Daryl's coat over her shoulders as he pulled a lighter from his back pocket.

"I'm not," He began, lighting the cigarette in his mouth and then Bob's. "I'm just holdin' on to it." 

"You're full of shit." She mumbled, just loud enough for him to hear her.

Daryl laughed, "I forgot how charmin' ya were when you were sick."

"Just for you baby." She said, her voice going softer and soft snores replacing her snarky remarks.

"She's had this before?" Bob asked Daryl.

Daryl shook his head, taking a rag out of his pocket, "No, not like this. She had this cold all win'er. She barely said a word, but when she did, I swear she acted like she was top shit. I guess she is though." He laughed, putting the final screws in the battery before pouring water on top of it.

"She seems like a good woman." Bob commented.

"Yeah, she is." Daryl agreed, "I don't know why she sticks around with me. She's too good for me." He let out a small chuckle.

"You know, the day you found me, you saved my life. I had just stopped... I had a drinking problem and I was ready to give up." Bob told him, "If you hadn't came along and convinced me to stop walking, I don't know where I'd be."

Daryl looked up at Bob and nodded his head, signaling to the others that the car was ready.

Daryl picked up Remmi, putting her in the passenger seat before jogging to the drivers side. The drive to the school went shorter than they all expected. To Remmi, it was even shorter.