20. PART ONE OF THE END

THAT SAME MORNING, REMMI woke up feeling weak. The previous events that took place only a few hours ago still playing through her mind. Ellie came into her cell soon after.

"Can you watch Andy for me? I offered to help Michonne and Hershel with the bodies."

Remmi just gave her a look. A look of shame. "Are you serious?"

"I did the grieving process the first time Remmi. I'm not putting myself through that again when I have a child to raise. Andrew's not here anymore... I need to start pulling my own weight."

"Whatever Eleanor. Just ignore the fact that Andrew is dead, just like you did the first time!" Remmi was shouting towards the end. She was angry. Angry that Eleanor was just moving on like this. Ignoring what happened almost six hours ago.

"I'll get someone else to watch Andy... Clearly you're not capable right now." Ellie stormed out of the cell, slamming her feet on the steps as she walked to her own cell.

Remmi just sat up, sighing with her head in her hands. The young woman wiped her eyes before grabbing the black jeans that laid on the floor. She pulled them on, along with her belt before fastening it together. She tugged her gun in it's holster with a knife right alongside it. She decided to keep the shirt she had on. It was one of Daryl's only clean shirts and she didn't have the strength to pull it off. Remmi tucked the shirt in before going down the stairs.

Daryl and Rick looked as if they were in a heated discussion and Remmi wasn't about to interrupt. Remmi went down to the library after seeing them. She figured that's where Sadie would be.

When Remmi reached her destination. Sadie and Carl were playing some sort of card game. Sadie was about to ask her if she wanted to play, but was cut off by a loud sound coming from outside the prison. The three of them quickly ran out from the tombs and out onto the courtyard.

Beth, Maggie, Bob, Rick, Ellie and Daryl were met outside with the three from the library. Remmi stood in front of Sadie. Remmi covered her eyes, trying to see what was beyong the prison.

"Rick!" A voice that was all too familiar yelled, "Come down here, we need to talk!"

A few seconds went by before Rick yelled, "It's not up to me! We-We have a council now!"

"Is Hershel on the council?"

Suddenly, the old man they all had come to love emerged with his hands tied behind his back and was sat on the ground.

"What about Michonne?" The Governor asked once more.

"I don't make the decisons anymore!" Rick yelled once more.

"You are today!" The governor snickered. "Come down, let's have that talk."

Rick hugged his son before walking down the gravel to where the Governor and his men stood. His hand placed firmly on his side. Daryl began to take charge, telling them that if things went south, to head for the bus. They agreed.

"We can do this, right Remmi?" Sadie asked.

"Yeah Sadie, we can do this." She confirmed. Daryl came back with the cart of guns and began to hand them out. He gave one to Remmi, placing his hand on her back before handing her the rifle.

"I'm gonna go grab the kids, get them on the bus." Eleanor said, putting her gun on her back and running inside.

As soon as she left, Michonne's katana was stuck to Hershel's neck. Maggie and Beth immediately started cry. They saw the knife leave Hershel's neck. Whatever Rick was saying, it was working.

The group started smiling. Hershel was smiling.

"Liar..." The katana met Hershel's neck and he was gone.

"No!" Rick yelled as he started shooting his gun. Then they all started shooting.

It was a full fledged war at this point.

Remmi kept shooting her gun, yelling at Ellie to get the kids on the bus and to get out of here. She did as told and started running. Suddenly, they came into their gated haven. The fences destroyed.

In an instant, Remmi went from shooting her gun, to the ground. A woman had hit her over the head and Remmi's vision became blurred.

"Son of a..." She moaned as she turned on her back and tried to reach for her gun that was a few inches away from where she lay. The woman stopped her immediately, stepping on her wrist, causing Remmi to cry out in immense pain.

Remmi used her left hand to rip the woman's foot from her wrist causing the brunette to tumble over. Remmi immediately stood up with whatever strength she had left and grabbed her gun. Whoever the woman was, Remmi shot her without a second thought. She immediately ran off after that, her wrist close to her chest.

"Sadie! Daryl!" Remmi yelled.

"Mom!" She heard Sadie yell, but she couldn't tell where from.

As Remmi ran out of ammo, she grabbed the gun from her holster and started shooting. She saw Daryl. She saw the walkers behind him and started shooting the Walkers behind him.

"You stay with me!" He yelled at her. She nodded. Daryl took had one arm on her while one arm was on the Walker in front of them. Daryl threw a grenade at the men shooting at them. Then they ran.

"We have to find Sadie! Ellie and Andy!" She yelled as they ran.

"We will! Now come on!" Daryl threw another grenade in the tank as Remmi kept running, thinking Daryl was behind her. But he wasn't. They lost one another in the midst of the Walkers and smoke.

When Remmi found Sadie, she was huddled behind a file cabinet.

"Sadie? Come on, we've gotta go." Remmi told her, reaching for her arm. Sadie grabbed her hand and Remmi lifted her up, the two heading for the field.

"Daryl!" She yelled. Looking around. But she couldn't see anything. There was too much going on. Too many Walkers and too much smoke surrounded her and Sadie.

Until Remmi felt a hand at her waist, pulling her and Sadie away from scene that was unfolding before them.

PUBLISHED
word count: 1048