[7]: Count on Me

A/N: I have this weird love hate relationship with Scott's character.  I don't like what he is doing to Elise, but I am trying to show that he was a good man at one point.  His bitterness has just changed him, but I hope not enough for people to completely hate him.  I am not sure I am accomplishing that or not right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Elise's POV]

        I opened my swollen eyes slowly, adjusting to the brightness of the room.  Turning over to my side, I peer at the clock resting on Laura's nightstand, it indicating it was just after 10:30 in the morning.  I sit up, placing my feet on the floor.  Sitting there for a second trying to collect myself.  Before I stand up, Laura opens the door and walks in, a coffee cup in each hand.

"Good, you're awake.  I was just going to set this coffee on the nightstand for you to have when you woke up, but here you go." she says as she places the warm cup in my hands.

"Thanks Laura, and thanks for letting me stay last night and for everything else."

"No thanks needed, girl.  You know you are always welcome in my house.  Mi casa su casa."

"Yea, I know." I took a sip of coffee, before looking at her. "I should probably call Scott, he's probably wondering where I am."

"Nah, he knows you're here."

"How?"

"He called your phone like a stalker in the middle of the night, and I answered it cause I thought you would be a wee bit pissed if I smashed it to pieces."

"He called?"

"Yea, like a trillion times.  I answered him and let him know you were here."

"Why didn't you give me the phone?"

"Cause you were asleep, and you needed it, Elise."

"Oh, thanks.  Well, what did he say?"

"He demanded to talk to you, and I may or may not have told him to fuck off and hung up on him a few times."

"And he let it go and just let me stay? I mean, you're not his favorite person in the world."

"Oh, I am pretty sure after last night, I cemented that title with him."

"Ok, you're leaving something else out.  What happened?"

"Well he may or may not have showed up here last night.  And I may or may not have told him to his face to really fuck off.  I also, may or may not have also told him we ran into Giselle and saw them playing tongue hockey."

I winced at the memory of Scott and Giselle's kiss, pain blooming in my chest.

"Sorry Elise, I didn't mean to upset you again."

"I know, Laura."

"Listen Elise, and I want you to really listen.  Look at me okay?" I turn to her after she says this and look her in the eyes.

"What you experienced last night was horrifying for me to watch.  I knew you were bad, but I didn't realize just how bad it is for you right now.  You were crying like a wounded animal in my arms for hours and hours.  I don't think you are going to survive much more of this, and I don't want to see my best friend die of a broken heart.  I think you need to leave Scott, move on with your life.  Try and live again, anything.  This isn't a healthy relationship for you.  I sugar coated it a little for you yesterday, but look at yourself.  You've lost a shit ton of weight, your eyes are sunken into your face, and you've lost your laugh.  You gotta get away from him, for your own health."