[10]: Stay or Leave

[Elise's POV]

        Sitting on the couch in our living room in my evening dress, I waited for Scott to arrive.  I was nervously straighten the bodice and shirt portion of the dress over and over.  I was also making sure I had everything that I would need for the evening in my clutch as well.  I had probably checked the purse over a dozen times as I sat there.  Looking at the clock on the mantel for the millionth time in the last ten minutes, I noticed that it was almost time to leave.  Scott had arrived home a little before five in the evening, but he had never taken long to get ready.  I heard him then as his footsteps came down the stairwell.

"Elise, are you ready?"

"Yes, I am."

"Good, let's go.  The car is waiting out front to take us."

        He grabbed my arm, and ushered me out of the house quickly.  Damien's territory was only about a ten minute drive from our house.  But the ride felt like it took forever, as we sat there in silence.  He was pre-occupied with his cell phone, so I had just turned to watch the scenery as the car traveled to its destination.  It gave me a little time to decide on how I would break the news of our impeding parenthood.  I decided that once we left the gathering and went home, I would tell Scott about it.    If I told him now, before it, it may end up disastrous and ruin the night.  Knowing how important Damien was to Scott, I didn't want to do that.

        As we pulled up to the front of the house, I noticed a large amount of people walking into the cabin style home.  I had always been impressed with the it.  It was at least three times larger than our own home, but still looked like a cozy place to live.  As if you were in a small log cabin.  Once our chauffeured car dropped us off in the front, we walked up the pathed path to the front door.

        As we stepped in, I noticed at least a few hundred people milling about all the rooms on the bottom floor of the house.  A beautiful sparkling chandelier hanging from the ceiling of the foyer.  I took in my surroundings and the beautifully dressed woman with their debonairly dressed significant others.  Almost as quickly as we arrived, Scott ushered us to a few people whom I knew he was in business with.  I stood there by his side, as he spoke to them never really acknowledging my presence.  It hadn't always been like this, he use to introduce me or bring me into the conversation.  Now I just stood there like an ornament, something beautiful to be seen but not heard.

        Just as the melancholy began to hit, I heard the hushed whispers begin to fill the room.  Turning around to see what the commotion was about, I noticed Damien and a beautiful woman in a red dress walking down the stairs.  Halfway down, he turned to her with an affectionate smile before making a pretty little speech.

"Good evening all.  I am sure some of you are a tad bit confused by my entrance tonight.  So before the party starts, let me clear it up.  A little over a month ago, some of you here, came to celebrate my engagement, but not to the woman whom is currently on my arm. That woman, Rachel, was never my mate as most of you assumed.  This beautiful woman next to me, is my true mate.  I was arrogant and stupid in denying her, and I will spend my life trying to make up for it.  It was of no fault of her own, but mine.  So with that being said, I hope you enjoy this evening in celebrating me finally coming to my senses and being with the woman that was made for me.  Now let's all enjoy the company, drinks, and dancing."

        I watched as the beautiful couple preceeded down the stairs, and envying them.  I saw the love between the two, and knew of the hardships both had gone through.  But they were the living proof of what the power of love and forgiveness could do.  I only wished Scott could learn the same lessons from them.