[14]: Jokes

[Elise's POV]

        Damn, I knew I was bound to run into someone from my past life, but not this soon.  I watched as Damien's long legs covered the distance between me and him, quickly eating up space.  Dressed in jeans, and a loose fitting blue t-shirt with a cream cashmere sweater over it.  He had a tentative smile on his face, as he approached.

"Hello Damien." I said.

"I wasn't sure that was you here.  What are you doing here? Last I heard, you left town.  You back now?"

Not sure how much I wanted to say knowing that this conversation would likely be told back to Scott, I answered. "I'm just visiting a friend that's here in the hospital.  I don't plan on staying long. So what are you doing here yourself?"

"Oh, just getting a check up by a doctor here that's of my kind, you get what I am saying.  I got shot awhile back, this was my last check up to make sure everything is good now."

"Oh, I am sorry to hear about that.  I didn't know.  I'm glad to hear it.  But listen, I better get back to my friend." I state as I begin to walk away.

"It was good seeing you Elise."

        As I walked away, I couldn't help but think that it wasn't good to see him.  I knew it was only a matter of time that Scott's smug face would pop up, and I wasn't quite sure how to feel about that.  I only knew that my anger has only intensified as the months passed.  I wasn't the same girl that left this hell-hole.  She was long gone, and he would see it soon.  I smirked at myself then, almost gleeful of meeting Scott again.  He was going to have one rude awakening when I see him again.  Oh yes, he is.

        Who'd have known I would get the chance only a few days later.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Scott's POV]

        This meeting was getting tedious at best.  I was getting antsy for the bottle of whiskey in the bottom drawer of my desk, it's siren voice calling out to me.  Wanting me to come keep it company, and how it was lonely.  I wanted to answer it's call so badly.  Only when I was with it, was I able to be with Elise in the dream world.  A world that felt so right.  The relationship we had was perfect, it was only in the blind light of day that the truth of what life really was, came out.  My cell phone began ringing then, and I noticed it was Damien calling.  Quickly, I ignored the call, but immediately he called me back.  Frustrated, I finally answered as I held up my hand to the occupants in the room indicating for them to stop talking.  Standing up, I walked out of the conference room to the hallway.

"What is it Damien, I am in a meeting."

"Hello to you too, friend."

"I don't have time for this, what is it that you needed?"

"Well, if you are going to be a bitch then I guess I won't share the good news with you."

"Seriously Damien, what do you want? I need to finish this meeting."

"She's back, Scott."

My mind immediately thought to Elise, but I needed to reassure what I was thinking was in fact the truth. "Who's back?"

"Elise."

"Are you sure? You aren't fucking with me are you?"

"No, I wouldn't joke about her with you.  I just saw her a few minutes ago."