[13]: The Last Place on Earth

[Elise's POV]

        I can't believe I am back in this forsaken town.  There was nothing left for me here.  There was nothing that could bring me back to this place, but the one thing that had.  Laura.  For her, I would cross all of hell if she needed me, and she did now.  For that very reason, I had hopped on the first plane I could, to go back to the place I said I would never set foot in again.  There were too many memories here, and too many people I would rather avoid.  People that didn't belong in my life now.  

         I run through the twin automated doors, and ran up to the first desk I saw someone whom worked here, sitting at.  The woman was wearing medical scrubs with little cartoon characters all over the shirt portion, with solid blue pants.  I waited patiently as she finished a conversation with someone on the phone, before she looked up at me.

"Yes, how can I help you?"

"Hi, I'm looking for Laura Reed." I say as I pant, trying to catch my breath.

"Are you family?"

"No, but I am her best friend, and she doesn't have any family here."

"I'm sorry ma'am but I can only release information on a patient to their immediate family.  There are HIPPA laws I have to abide by." she says in a nice voice, though stern.

Just as I was about to respond, I felt a hand in the small of my back just as I heard their voice.

"It's okay, she's with me and I am Laura's cousin, Julian Reed."

        At having heard that, the nurse instructed us where Laura has been placed.  She indicated to us to follow the main corridor, take an immediate left to the elevator.  From there, take the elevator up to the fourth story, and the nurse's station would be right in front of us when it opened.  The nurses there would point us to the room Laura was in.  Thanking her, we turned and left as she told us too.

        I was so glad Julian had come with me.  Laura had introduced us when I had first arrived in Leesburg with her.  His father was Laura's mother's brother, and they had been fairly close throughout their lives.  But when Julian's family had moved to Leesburg, their contact had become less frequent than it had been when they were kids.  I can still remember everything from the day I left, up until this very moment.

        I had been placing my suitcases in the trunk of my car, when a car's headlights appeared to be approaching my house.  I had tensed thinking it was Scott arriving back before I thought it would, and worried about his reaction if he caught me now.  But that worry was for nothing, as it wasn't Scott, but Laura herself.  I watched as the yellow taxi stop in the driveway, and Laura stepping out.  She yelled a thank you to the driver, as she walked to the trunk to retrieve her own packed luggage.  I was a bit confused as to why she had brought her own baggage.

"Laura, I thought I was meeting you at your house."

"Yea, you were, but I thought it would be smarter if I came here instead, that way we could leave sooner.  You would have had to drive and pick me up, and basically head the opposite direction of where you final destination would be, so I said fuck it, and came here."

"Well that's smart of you, but why do you have luggage?"

"Do you honestly think I would send you off into the great unknown by yourself? God, how low you must think of me.  Just kidding.  If it wasn't obvious, it should be.  I am coming with you, and staying until I know you are settled and safe.  I'll come back home after that.  I wish I could move with you and be closer, but my job is here, and my home is here."