i.

chapter one.

Karina's first pit stop was in Chicago, which was a 12 hour and 24-minute drive. At this point in her trip, Karina had a text from her dad. She had made a pit-stop earlier for gas, but now she needed more and as soon as she entered Chicago, her phone had gone off with the notification.

She didn't know what to expect when she opened the message while at a gas station. Her heart was racing as she imagined that he was actually angry with her, that he changed his mind and was demanding for her to come home before he sent someone after her, but instead she was relieved to see the opposite.

Dad
Here's your mother's address.
I didn't tell her or reach out
to her to let her know since
I know you probably want
to surprise her.

I love you, Karina.
Please be safe and at
least text me when you
get there so I know you're safe.

Karina smiled softly and a part of her wanted to start crying and she didn't even know why. They had said their goodbyes already and yet, her heart still hurt from leaving. Her feelings were warranted, she knew that but then why did she feel so bad? Why did she feel as if she was betraying him by leaving to be with her mom?

After everything that's been done, after all this planning and the pep talk that she gave herself, why was there a part of her ready to second guess it? She knew that it was probably because after so long she had heard him say that he loved her, once when she was leaving and now through text. That and at the end of the day, he was still her father.

Closing the message, Karina opened her GPS and looked at how much longer it would take to get to Forks. It was a 33-hour drive from where she was at. With a heavy sigh, Karina quickly got some gas and snacks before driving off again.

She couldn't wait to see her mother again.

It had taken Karina a week to get to Forks.

It would've been a much shorter trip but with each state that Karina hit, she couldn't resist stopping and buying souvenirs for her mom and post cards to add to her collection. She couldn't help it, when she wanted things, she simply always got it and then later thought about if it was a good idea or not.

When Karina finally arrived in the small town, she felt a sense of familiarity. Maybe it was from her childhood from when her mother would tell Karina about her heritage being apart of the Quileute tribe, the stories were hazy, but Karina remembered them.

Aurora was born apart of the Quileute tribe, but she didn't live on the Reservation like the other kids. Aurora's father didn't want them dabbling in the tribes messes, so they moved off the Res only for them to then move to New York when Aurora's dad found a good job elsewhere.

Karina recalled the nights she would beg her mother to tell her the legends, and each time after she confessed that she would love to be a wolf. The statement would make Aurora laugh and Karina loved nothing more than being the reason that her mother was happy, no matter how short lived.

With her GPS on and set to one destination, Karina took her time driving through Forks and trying to familiarize the place. People noticed the sudden nice care and Karina was grateful that she got tinted windows when she got the chance. She knew that the town was small and that everyone probably knew everyone, but she didn't understand the point in staring. It was just rude and despite the tinted windows, it made Karina squirm uncomfortably.

By five in the afternoon, Karina had finally found the house that her mother lived in. It was a cozy looking two story white house with an array of sunflowers growing on the side that made Karina's heart warm. She noticed a car was in the driveway and her heart flipped as she became nervous.

Shutting off her car and stepping out, Karina looked down at herself and wondered if she should look more presentable. She was dressed in her workout attire as it was the comfiest clothing that she had. She didn't really like wearing sweats, simply because she was naturally warm blooded, so she got hot fast. Her stomach was slightly exposed but at the moment, she deemed it decent enough.

With a racing heart and chest full of anxiety, Karina walked up the three steps before raising her fist and knocking on the door. She heard the sound of nails hitting against the floorboards, making her wonder if her mom had a dog, before the door finally opened and a gasp fell from her mother's lips.

Aurora Clark, who no longer used Baxter as her last name, didn't look a day over thirty. Her hair looked lighter than its original black color and Karina wondered if she had dyed it. Her tan skin still complimented her brown eyes, and the freckles on her face just reminded Karina of all the times her younger self would question her about them. Aurora looked just as Karina had remembered, just a little older with tired eyes.

"Sunflower?" Aurora whispered and Karina nodded her head, her eyes beginning to water. Aurora placed her hands-on Karina's cheeks gently, her own eyes watering up. "How-" She swallowed the lump in her throat, "How are you here?"

"Daddy let me go." Karina told her softly, the tears falling at this point.

That was all Aurora needed to hear before she pulled Karina into her arms. Sobs left both their lips as they hugged one another, there was a void in each of them that suddenly felt full, and it was utter relief. Just as much as Karina needed her mother, Aurora needed her too.

"My sweet girl," Aurora cried as she pulled away to look at Karina once more. "You're so big now." She sobbed and Karina could see the pain in her eyes as she realized how much she's missed.

"I'm home mommy." Karina told her and Aurora had missed being called mom for so long now. "I'm home and I'm not going anywhere." She promised and Aurora pulled Karina inside, noting to grab her things later.

The two of them sat on the couch and Karina let out a small gasp when a dog placed itself over her lap with its head on her mom's lap. "Well hello to you too." She laughed and looked at her mom for an explanation.

Her mom smiled softly at her, "This is Roscoe. I got him a week ago when animal attacks started happening, I wanted to feel a little safer." She explained and Karina nodded her head. "He's still technically a puppy, but he's grown so much already."

"He's cute." Karina complimented the dog and her mom smiled widely at her.

"So, tell me everything." Her mother urged and Karina took a deep breath before doing as she was told.

For the remainder of the day, Karina and her mother caught up with one another. Her mother admitted that she had a crush on their not-so-neighbor neighbor. Karina was happy for her mother, but a little concerned when she realized that it was the Chief of police that she was crushing on.

Nonetheless, she happy for her and she was happy to finally feel like she belonged.