xlv.

chapter forty-five.

Karina was nervous as she followed the directions on the piece of paper.

Her heart was thumping rapidly, and she feared what was going to happen to her. She looked down at the small noticeable bump that stood out thanks to her tank top and smiled softly.

"I can do this." She told herself before stopping her rental when she reached the house she was looking for.

It was hidden, secluded in the forest and was had to reach if you didn't know the way. Karina peeked out her window and gulped at the sight of the house. It was large and not to modern but looked to be new.

Taking a deep breath, Karina exited her car and with her slightly enhanced hearing, she could only hear one heartbeat. Gathering what little courage she had, Karina started to approach the house when she suddenly got a bad feeling.

Using her ability, Karina held out her hand and stopped someone from touching her. Spinning around, Karina's eyes landed on a woman with olive-tone skinned with a long braid of hair that made her burgundy red eyes stand out.

"Are you Huilen?" Karina asked her while releasing her from the hold she had on her.

"Who are you?" The woman asked and her accent was very prominent in her voice.

"I'm Karina." Karina held out her hand and the woman just stared at it. "Are you Huilen?"

The woman nodded, "I am."

"I need your help." Karina told her.

Huilen frowned before she heard it. The second heartbeat that was inside of Karina was faint but strong. This made her take an instinctive step back, a small snarl appearing on her lips as her looked at the bump on Karina's stomach.

"You're pregnant."

"My soulmate is a vampire." Karina explained and she could see the distaste on Huilen's face. "I know, this shouldn't be possible, but it is."

"You're human?" A new voice asked from behind and Karina spun around to see a male.

He and Huilen shared similarities, but Karina saw the differences. The boy was handsome no doubt, he was a man of indigenous descent with rich dark brown skin, eyes the color of warm teak, and extremely attractive features. His black hair was also in a braid.

"Kind of." Karina shrugged and this peaked their interest. "I can explain but I need help, please."

Huilen and the boy shared a look before he nodded and Huilen sighed. She motioned Karina to move forward, and Karina did, moving towards the boy and following after him as he went inside the house.

Karina took note of their clothing and then the house, this was definitely new.

"You're new to this, aren't you?" Karina asked them both and earning a confused look. "You're living in a modernized home, kind of, but you're still dressed in the traditional clothing of your tribe."

"We're learning." The boy explained and Karina nodded her head. "I am Nahuel." Unlike Huilen, his English was only slightly accented.

Karina took a seat in their living room and glanced around, her leg started bouncing and she couldn't help but chew on fingernails. The ache in her chest was back and she yearned to be next to Jasper again.

"So how are you pregnant?" Nahuel asked her and Karina sighed.

"Can I just show you instead?" Karina asked and they looked confused, but Karina didn't wait for a response as she showed them her memories.