xliii.

chapter forty-three.

"Mom, do you have William and the jet ready?"

Karina asked her mom through the phone as he headed back to the Cullen's house. As much as she wanted to head straight to the jet, she couldn't. She wanted to be selfish and see Jasper one last time, no matter how much it broke her inside.

"Baby, are you sure about this?" Aurora asked Karina once more.

Karina tightened her grip on the steering wheel as the tears threatened to fall. "We're soulmates and thanks to Carlisle's research, there hasn't been any survivor when it comes to vampire and human babies."

"Then why would you risk it?" Aurora questioned her as the thought of losing her daughter was crushing her.

"Is it so wrong for me to want to keep my child? To want to be a mother?" Karina sighed. "I know that this is selfish, to want something that could very much kill me, but I won't let anyone strip me of this, mama. Please understand."

"I do baby, I understand." Aurora told her, as she remembered when she first got pregnant with Karina and Andrew was terrified when they learned that it was dangerous. "Just be safe and I'll meet you on the jet."

With that the phone call was over and Karina had officially arrived at the Cullen's house. It was nightfall and Karina willed herself to keep it together. Stepping out of the car, she was greeted by Jasper who looked relieved to see her.

He wrapped his arms around her, and Karina melted into his hold. "I was so worried."

Karina forced a smile on her lips. "Sorry. Gossiping with Jessica is almost never ending." Karina joked and Jasper hummed while kissing her forehead.

Walking inside, Karina and Jasper went to his room and laid in bed together before he had to go hunt with his family. Edward was supposed to watch over her and Bella, but Karina thought that it was hilarious, it would always be Bella first in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." Karina whispered and Jasper tilted his head to look at her. "I never apologized for shutting you out when my dad died and straining our bond. I made you out to be the bad guy, but it was my fault in the first place."

Jasper sighed and sat up, quickly pulling Karina onto it and looking into her eyes. "Karina, I'm not angry with you. Maybe at first I was but I know that this isn't easy for you. I am also at fault for leaving and making our bond worse, I'm sorry too but I love you and I could never stay mad at you."

Karina felt her eyes water, "Still, I'm sorry."

Jasper's jaw clenched and he kissed the top of Karina's head. "Stop apologizing." She nodded her head and Jasper hugged her tightly. "I'll be back soon." Jasper promised her quietly. "I love you, Rina."

Karina's heart clenched and she smiled at him lovingly, while sitting on his lap. "I love you too, Jas."

They shared one last kiss, one that Karina tried to make last as she gripped onto Jasper's shoulders for dear life. He didn't seem to notice and kissed her back just as passionately. When they pulled away, Karina's eyes fluttered open, and she smiled at Jasper before climbing off of him and letting him stand.

"Soon." He promised and Karina nodded her head.

With one last peck, Jasper had disappeared from her sight and went to join his family. Karina waited for a moment, her eyes danced around Jasper's room as she tried to put to memory every detail that it held.

She was beginning to regret her decision to run and come back after the birth, but if what Carlisle's research said was true, Jasper's main concern would be keeping Karina alive. Even if it meant killing their child before it was born.