take me over this spell

chapter one

Moonlight streamed into the house, casting light onto the floor. The house itself was quiet and dark, other than the TV on and showing off a horror film, blood and guts flying everywhere, screams quiet yet heard clearly.

It was just another night in the park home for Rigby and Mordecai, the two friends sprawled across the couch and watching the Television. It was Friday-- the perfect night for a frenzy feast of gore and horror, and Mordecai was fast asleep, snoring away. As if this isn't scary.

Rigby glanced at his sleeping friend for a reaction as the main character's head was cut off and pinned to the wall, blood spraying everywhere. But all Mordecai did was snore away, and even a string of drool hung from his beak.

The raccoon turned back to the TV, wide-eyed and trembling with fear. He should turn the TV off. Save him from further suffering--

The doorbell rang, making Rigby jump and yelp, scrambling in the couch cushions. This, however, woke Mordecai up, causing the blue jay to yell out and jump in confusion. "Wha--?!"

"The doorbell rang!" Rigby explained, quickly, waving his arms in the air.

"Well you answer it! You don't just freak out-- or did you want me to, you baby." Mordecai frowned as he got up, sighing and rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He moved towards the doors flicking on the lights.

Rigby crossed his arms, huffing. It was beginning to get late.

"Oh-oh! Margaret...!" Mordeacai exclaimed, suddenly, making the raccoon look up. He could see the red bird in the porch light, smiling up at Mordecai shyly.

"Hi Mordecai! Sorry if I'm interrupting anything-- I guess I should've called, but..." her smile faltered, and a sigh escaped her lips. She murmured the last part, and Rigby couldn't hear.

The raccoon narrowed his eyes.

"Oh, yeah, you can totally crash for tonight!" Mordecai responded after the small whisper of words that left her beak. He stepped aside, letting the other walk in, and they shared a loving glance with each other. Rigby huffed, and, before Mordecai could say anything, he hopped to his feet, pretending to yawn.

"Well, I'm gonna hit the hay!" Rigby exclaimed, and looked at Mordecai and Margaret staring at him with curious eyes.

"Alright, goodnight, dude!" Mordecai said, and smiled some, before turning his attention back to Margaret.

Rigby quickly ran up the stairs and into their room, before glowering down at his feet. The moonlight cast a soft glow upon his fur, and the dark seemed to comfort him-- he had forgotten about the horror movie that they were watching before.

He scampered over to his trampoline, drowned in clothes, before climbing into the warmth, listening to the squeak of the springs carrying his weight. Rolling over, the raccoon sighed, and closed his dark eyes.

An hour passed, and Rigby looked up at the clock. One-thirty A.M. He could hear Mordecai and Margaret chuckling downstairs, and he slammed his head into the pillow, groaning loudly. "Stupid. Mordecai!"

The raccoon decided to get up and examine the situation for himself. He walked downstairs and turned to see Mordecai laying on the couch, with Margaret on top of him. They were drunk with love, staring at each other-- they were falling, and they were falling hard.

For some reason, Rigby felt he just witnessed a murder. The murder of his heart. He clenched his hands into fists. He descended down the stairs, fully, and Margaret saw him, and they locked gazes. Rigby stared at her for a long moment, before quickly disappearing into the kitchen.

He could hear Margaret murmuring something to Mordecai, and the other mumble something back. Rigby quickly ran to the cabinet and opened it, pulling out a cup and turning on the sink.

Mordecai walked in, and leaned on the counter, casually, smiling. "Hey dude! I thought you were asleep, heh... "

"Yeah-- I was-- but I got... thirsty," Rigby replied, and quickly started to drink the water. Mordecai shrugged. "No biggie. Just got curious is all." He stood up straighter and they were met with an awkward silence.

"So, are you and Margaret having fun?" Rigby asked. He sounded polite, but on the inside he was screaming.

"Uhh--" Mordecai blushed and chuckled some. "Yeah. Probably gonna head to bed soon... she has work tomorrow and we have work tomorrow and..." he gazed at the floor, and his smile faltered.

Rigby noticed. "Ah, I see. Why is she here, anyways?" His tone was harsher than he had meant it to be, and he quickly added, "No big deal, of course. Just curious." They stared at each other, and Mordecai was angry. But he didn't show it, not yet.

"Her dad kicked her out," Mordecai explained, slowly, eyes squinting, "Or... yeah." He lowered his voice, then. "Her dad's abusive, dude. Cut her some slack. She can crash on the couch."

Rigby's eyes widened only slightly, but his stubbornness seemed to kick in before the sympathy. "I didn't say she couldn't... besides..."

"You're just mad she interrupted our movie."

"You weren't even watching it! I'm... I'm tired." Rigby crossed his arms.

"Whatever, dude. You can't hide that you don't agree with her spending the night."

Rigby sighed, loudly, and pushed Mordecai away from him, before going upstairs again. He stopped, glancing at Margaret sleeping on the couch. Then he stormed into their room and closed the door, laying down on his trampoline. He scowled at the ceiling.

Soon, Mordecai came in, too, and climbed into his own bed. And soon, he was asleep, and Rigby was alone in the darkness of the room.

Hours seem to pass, and the dreariness of sleep finally began to overcome the raccoon. But the hazy drift was only half of what he wanted, and he tossed and turned on his trampoline, grunting as if uncomfortable. His vision was fuzzy, and soon he was swaying in and out of his trance, straining his ears to hear the silence that was brought with it. Impossible.

He'd never sleep.

Rigby was awake now, sitting up and grumbling angrily. Mordecai snored away across the room. Lucky.

Climbing to his feet, Rigby went to the window, and threw it open with whatever strength he could manage. He climbed out and onto the roof, the cold air hitting his face and making him shiver only slightly. He remembered to turn and close the window, knowing Mordecai would not want to wake up to a freezing room, an open window, and a very, tired Rigby.

The raccoon turned and ever so carefully made his way towards the very edge, before sitting down and letting his legs dangle over it. "This sucks," was all he mumbled, before gazing out towards the darkness of the park. His eyes strained to see the city further ahead, the lights bright in the distance. If you listened closely, you could hear the crickets and the owls and the cars driving by.

Who drives at three in the morning, Rigby thought.

The dark sky was dotted with stars, but only the visible ones. A full moon brightened the land, and a cold breeze seemed to accompany the fall air. Rigby felt quite calmer now, and he turned to go back inside, a small gentle air about himself. But when he tried to open the window, that gentle air seemed to vanish as quick as it had come, and he frowned, pressing his small hands against the glass to look inside.

Mordecai was asleep, their room was how they had left it, but the window hatch was the way Rigby had not wanted it to be.

His eyes widened as he stepped back, realization hitting him hard, and he gulped.

He was locked out of the house.