dig me out from this thorn tree

chapter eighteen

"Are you sure this is a good idea, dude?" Rigby asked.

"Of course. Come on, now-- can you be any slower?"

The night was dark, and the crickets chirping seemed to mock Rigby as he proceeded into the darkness, Mordecai leading the way. They both held a flashlight, shining it forward so they could see their way through the uninviting forest.

Mosquitoes buzzed in Rigby's ears. Fear buzzed in Rigby's heart. He was going to die.

"What, you scared of the dark, dude?" Mordecai teased, lightly, stopping to turn to the other.

"Well... I kinda have to be when I know for sure there's a demon less than a mile away from us!"

"True. But it's fine, Rigs. I'll keep you safe." He tugged the auburn raccoon alongside him, and the two continued through the darkest parts of the park, until they finally reach the edge of the treeline.

Skips' house lay, dark inside and out, waiting for them.

"Well, we looked, let's go back!" Rigby exclaimed, turning away.

Mordecai grabbed his arm, and pulled him forward. "Come on, dude. Not until we scope it out. Inside." He basically dragged the other towards the house, shining his flashlight towards the light on the side of the house. It was shattered, pieces of glass on the ground.

Fear trickled along Rigby's spine.

"That's weird..." Mordecai mumbled. He let go of Rigby and carefully made his way to the door. The raccoon scampered after him, before grabbing his arm, searching for comfort.

"Mordecai..."

"Come on. I'm not giving up now," the blue jay responded. But he didn't shake Rigby off, letting the other latch onto him as he tried to open the door.

"Locked."

"We can look tomorrow--"

Mordecai stepped back, and gazed around the side of the shack, before beginning his search in the pots and then broken glass.

"Mordecai, just give it up! We're supposed to be sleeping, anyways..."

"There has to be an extra key, dude. Everyone keeps one somewhere!" The blue jay looked up at Rigby, his eyes narrowed slightly. He was determined to investigate, to find Skips. He wanted answers, it seemed.

And Rigby knew that.

"Shine the light," Mordecai said, and the raccoon stepped forward, doing as he was told, shining the light onto where Mordecai was looking.

The blue jay bent down and lifted up the door mat. "Aha!" He picked up a silver key, triumphantly.

Rigby looked around, uneasily, his grip tightening around the flashlight. It was so dark. He turned his gaze back to his best friend, the one he kissed, the one he poured out his heart to.

The other was fumbling with the key, trying to get it into the lock. It felt like decades had passed before he finally managed to get the key in, and another decade before the door swung open, sharply.