10. A New York Safe-House

Michael stared at the book but didn't take any of the words in. How could he when his sister had been taken? He had thought that reading would calm him down, but even the comfort of the book on his lap did nothing in the way of soothing him. Though, he had to admit, he was coping better than Emma, who was obsessively pacing, and Rafe, who looked angry enough to viciously murder someone if he discovered they put Kate in danger.

Gabriel had reached Dr. Pym, who had sent a magical letter with detailed instructions. Trust the old and ghostly wizard to have a contingency plan in case Cambridge Falls was no longer safe.

Gabriel had told them to pack while he did a final perimeter scout. But things were all happening so fast. It had only been three days and already Michael and Emma had lost their parents and sister, and were now being moved for the second time. 

"We really should gather our things you know," he said to Emma pointedly.

She rolled her eyes at him, "then stop reading that book and gather our things."

Ever since the discovery of Kate's disappearance, Emma had been short tempered and miserable. And since the only person who truly knew how to calm her was gone, Michael and Gabriel were just trying to be patient and give her the space she needed. But this couldn't go on forever.

"Emma, I know your upset and with good reason too. But you need to realize we're on the same side here. And that it is gonna be ok. We've been separated from Kate before, remember? And she made it back to us," Michael said, trying to keep his own fear from his voice.

"Yeah, shot and dead!" Emma snapped, "the only reason she made it at all was because of-"

She turned and shot a glare at Rafe, then gave a huff of anger and began helping Michael repack his trusty bag, though with more force than necessary.

After a long silence, she finally looked up at Michael, "this safe house Dr. Pym is recommending and Gabriel is taking us to - who runs it and where is it?"

"I don't know who runs it," Michael said, "Pym's letter doesn't say."

"Always so reliable with his letters, that one," Emma grumbled sarcastically.

Michael ignored this and continued, "but the safe house itself is in the magical quarter of New York."

From the other end of the room, a sharp gasp came from Rafe at the mention of his own home. Magical NYC was where he grew up, where he knew Henrietta Burke and those many wonderful, troublesome children. It was where he had come to know and lose Kate.

Needless to say, the place came with a lot of emotions.

"Dr. Pym said he would come see us once we were there, but he's very immersed in the search for both answers and our parents. He said he had some leads, which is good," Michael added, desperate for a positive, "and the magical council has agreed to send another official to stick with us and help."

"We're getting another person involved?" Emma scoffed.

Michael shrugged, "I know we usually tend to work alone, but it might be someone helpful, like King Robbie. Look on the bright side Emma."

"Why?" Emma asked, "Kate's gone and we're in danger. Why bother searching for the good?"

"Because it's the only way we keep above all the bad," Michael said solemnly.

Surprisingly, this struck a chord with Emma. She fell silent, deep in thought, and stayed that way until Gabriel returned to tell them it was time to leave. 

"Pym has convinced the magical council to send us a portal so you children don't have to exert yourself creating one," Gabriel informed them, opening the door to reveal the magical gateway to a city street illuminated by the dim glow of a burnt our street light.