41. Deja Vu

When Kate woke up in the church, it was darker, the equivalent of night in the land of the dead. A chill swept through the air, stirring up the stillness of the dead building. Kate shivered, even as her hand instinctively went to her locket. Then she looked around for Rafe, only to find he was not there.

Immediately, her heartbeat sped up as she panicked. Getting to her feat, she climbed down the ladder to the belfry and into the body of the church, calling his name. She received no response, stoking her fear.

"Rafe!" She called, "Rafe!" He wouldn't have just left her. Would he? If he had been taken against his will there would have been signs of struggle, for he would have fought tooth and nail to stay with her. He would not have gone out on some trivial errand at a time like this, and he would never abandon her no matter how afraid he was of what was ahead. But he would leave if he thought it would keep her safe, Kate knew. The only thing was, she didn't know why he had all of a sudden decided that was the only way. Something had to have changed, but what?

Truth be told, she couldn't puzzle it out right now. She was too full of fear for him and anger that he left her without even a word, coupled with her underlying worry for those in the land of the living and dread at the thought of what awaited her. She was an utter mess of emotions and even the sleep she had just gotten did little to ease her. Remaining alive in this world was draining her magic and it was t even the hardest task she would have to complete.

Nearly in tears, she stumbled to the first floor or of the church, so empty in comparison to when it had been alive. It was there that she saw Henrietta Burke slipping in, apprehension on her face.

"Rafe's gone," Kate said, not wasting any time with pleasantries, "do you know why or where he went?"

"No, I didn't even see him before he left. He went while I was out scouting the city. However we have bigger problems," Henrietta replied.

Kate frowned, "what?"

"The Dire Magnus knows you are here, in the land of the dead and at this specific church. He has sent out a spirit to hunt you down, a greedy witch called Mary Ingrid Stone. You're actually already acquainted with her, though I doubt you'd be eager to repeat the event," Henrietta explained.

Kate's eyes lit with recognition, "she's the woman who sold me to the imps after I first arrived in New York."

"The very same," Henrietta said, "she's on her way here now, so we must sneak you out of the city before..."

"Hello!" A voice full of deceptive sweetness floated through the keyhole as three sharp knocks hit the door. Kate and Henrietta exchanged looks of frustration at their bad fortune.

"I know you're in there little hero," Mary Ingrid Stone crooned, "you can't hide her forever, Henrietta."

"Leave my home now," Henrietta snapped.

Mary laughed, "I can't do that. I'm going to be well rewarded for this."

"You really think the Dire Magnus will give you anything? You are a mere plaything to him," Henrietta said.

"I'll be a very rich plaything once I bring him the girl," Mary replied. 

Henrietta swore bitterly under her breath, then shouted, "I'm not letting you in, Mary!"

"Very well," Mary said with a cruel twist to her sweet voice, "I guess I'll just have to smoke you two out!"

There was a woosh, and suddenly the door was aflame, fire spreading fast to the walls, encouraged by Mary's laughter and power.

"I thought the dead couldn't use magic like this?" Kate whispered, running away from the fire and into the next room.

"They can't." Henrietta replied, "the Dire Magnus must have given her a bit of his power to allow her to do this!"

The fire was spreading unnaturally fast, consuming the church and chasing Henrietta and Kate. She could feel the heat of it at her back as the smoke clouding the air stung her eyes. Sweat dripped down her forehead as she felt a sense of deja vu. Once again, this beautiful building was being destroyed by flames. It was New York all over again, except this time Kate didn't even have Rafe by her side.

Behind her, she heard Mary Ingrid Stone's laugh, "no where to run now!"

"That's what she thinks," Henrietta muttered, "follow me."

Kate did as the ghost witch requested without hesitation, ducking into the kitchen even as the fire chased them around a corner. Her eyes watered and she hacked out a cough but she did not stop. She couldn't stop. The Dire Magnus's agent could not catch her and she could not burn to death here. She still had a family and a world to save. Once again, all the responsibility was on her shoulders, and she couldn't afford to let those counting on her down. It didn't matter that she was alone or afraid. No one else was coming to save the day. She had to make it long enough to do that.

Henrietta had led her to a back door, which Kate flung open and slipped out, breaking into a run the moment a gust of cool air blew into her face. She didn't stop running until she was several blocks away, leaning against a wall of gray brick trying to catch her breath.

In the distance the church still burned, a pillar of fire in the middle of a tranquil city. Kate was saddened by the fact that this would be its second death by flames. And she doubted that was a coincidence. The Dire Magnus wanted to send her a message and he would use her past to do it.

Henrietta hovered beside Kate, her translucent face sorrowful as she took in the burning church, "Mary is probably taking her time with it to wound our spirits. She was never one to listen to her instructions and she was always a sadistic bitch. However today, that is in our favor. It has bought us a moment of time."

Kate nodded in agreement. Time was precious. She knew that all too well.

Henrietta turned to look at her, "it's time for you to go. The Dire Magnus is residing on the northern edge of the Land of the Dead, over that way."

She pointed to the mountainous horizon, "I am sorry I cannot get you an exact location. But my sources say that is where the darkness lurks."

"Thank you, Henrietta," Kate said with sincerity, "you did all you could."

"I'll do more. While you make your journey, I'll return to hold off Mary," Henrietta said.

Kate frowned, "don't get yourself hurt on my account."

Henrietta responded, "I am a ghost. She can't hurt me, not in anyway that will last. It's you who has the hard task ahead, between finding Rafe and defeating your enemy."

Kate hit her lip and fiddled with her locket, "I know.... I'm so afraid, Henrietta."

Henrietta's stern face softened with sympathy for the girl carrying the weight of the world, "I know child. But you must remain strong. You are the only hope we have." 

Kate snorted half heartedly. Henrietta tilted her head, "what?"

"Back in New York, the night of.. of the separation, you told me my loving Rafe was the only hope we have." 

"That too," Henrietta nodded, "I have come to realize love is the greatest weapon we have. And you love so strongly, Katherine Wibberly, that you are it's greatest wielder. That is why I know you will do what's right and save us all."

Kate knew that was meant as a vote of confidence but it just felt like more pressure on her. She resisted the urge to sigh heavily and just let all her fight go. Instead she drew herself up and said, "I won't let you down."

"I know," Henrietta smiled proudly at Kate, and then she was gone, leaving the teen to fight this battle alone. She began walking towards the mountains, and the man that wanted her dead. It was painful but her loved ones needed to be saved, and no one else would do it.

That was the story of Kate's life right there. Doing what needed to be done when no one else would. She clutched her locket so tightly in one fist that her knuckles turned raw. She just hoped  she could pull this off.

A/N: Henrietta Burke calling someone a sadistic bitch is everything I didn't know I needed. But poor strong lonely Kate, my angel doesn't deserve this. Someone give her a vacation.

Also, off topic, but my fellow writers, do you ever like writing some characters more than others? Like, I always like writing Kate more than Michael or Emma.