51. Three Young Heroes

In the post battle rush to clean up, to honor the dwarves and elves who had fallen (though thankfully there were few casualties) to transport prisoners, and calm the people, the Wibberly family, along with Rafe and Wilamena, found themselves being shepherded into the council room. King Robbie, King Bernard, Dr. Pym, Gabriel, Master Chu, Hugo Algernon, Magda Von Klappen, Abigail, and Dena were all gathered there to make a few decisions necessary to keep peace. The other council members, like Haarald and Captain Anton, were off supervising field operations.

Soon everyone was seated around the table, and, surprisingly, silence fell over the council, as though they were choosing their next words wisely.

Finally, Abigail broke the silence, "what are we going to do about the land of the dead? We can't just have ghosts popping over to cause chaos whenever they want. We need to figure out what's happening with the barriers to keep chaos from ensuing."

"Actually, I think that problem may already be fixed," Rafe replied. Many heads in the room swiveled to look at him, and many glares were shot his way. But he kept his focus on Abigail as he spoke, "the magic that turned the barriers fluid has been dimmed some. Without that much power, and because the fluidity has already fulfilled its original purpose, it's likely that after the defeat of the Dire Magnus and the vanishing of the ghosts, the barriers changed back to normal."

Abigail turned to look at the other witches and wizards, "I think that's the most probable explanation, from what we're sensing from magic at the moment. And the best outcome, since now we don't have to worry about this happening again."

"Good. I agree that the explanation makes sense for the vague shifts we have observed," Master Chu said.

"But what about oatmeal brained Pym, and Gabriel? What's going to happen to them and any other ghosts still on this side of the barrier, like the Countess?" Hugo Algernon questioned boisterously.

"We could theoretically still send ghosts back to the land of the dead, since even when they are here they still have a tether to that place, which is what keeps them dead and keeps the world working," Master Chu replied.

"I agree. I don't know about Gabriel, but I can feel that tether attatched to my soul. If I wanted to go back, I could. However, once back, I could not leave the land of the dead again," Dr. Pym chimed in.

"Well I guess that settles it then," King Robbie declared.

"Mostly," Dena corrected, "it settles the fact that we can solve the problem of an unruly ghost if it ever arrives. But Gabriel and Dr. Pym have to make up their own minds on if they want to stay in this world or not."

"Well we can leave at any time we like, so I see no reason not to stick around for a while. See all the loose ends tied up and ensure my old friends are ok. Perhaps give this council a lesson on cooperation," Dr. Pym answered with a slight smile, "and when the time is right, it will be like a retirement for me."

And, he thought, though he did not say it, he wanted to fix some of his mistakes before moving on permanently. He owed it to the world.

"And you, Gabriel?" Dena asked. She looked worried about the answer. Emma did too.

Gabriel answered, "I have to stay around for a while longer. I promised to train a new warrior and I am not going to go back on my vow. Speaking of, Emma, good job handling the ghosts in battle with your brother. I am very proud."

Emma began to beam. Her best friend and mentor was staying! He was going to teach her everything he knew until she was just as much of a fighter as he was. She would make him proud, and together, they would make the world a better place. For once in Emma's chaotic twelve years of life, everything felt right.