22. Together Once More

Rafe ran into the fire, not caring how odd it felt to be alive and running again, only caring about getting to Kate. His magic shielded him from the thick smoke and the intense heat of the fire. His  lungs, raw from being brought back to life, recoiled at the burning scent it the air but he powered through even as he wheezed.

Where was Kate being kept? He thought. The Dire Magnus would have her locked somewhere secure and hard to reach, somewhere impossible to see into. The basement, he realized fit that description.

Rafe made a mad dash for the basement door, which was on fire. Not that that was a problem for Rafe. He simply used his magic power to blast the door to pieces then charged down the stairs.

Surprisingly there were no guards, but then again, everyone was fleeing from the fire. Rafe knew the Dire Magnus and Rourke would have already disappeared to safety. Now the underlings we're scrambling to avoid the flames.

Rafe made it down the stairs, even with the fire eating at the room around him. What he found filled him with a rage like none he had ever felt before. His Kate, his lovely, angelic Kate, strapped to an electric chair, her unconscious body jolting as painful voltage was sent through her.

For a moment, Rafe felt angry enough to rip the entire monster army to shreds with his bare hands, no magic necessary. But revenge had to wait. Right now he had to get Kate out of here.

With his magic, he tore the restraints away from the chair and cut of the electricity. Kate slumped and went limp now that the constant voltage wasn't hitting her. Rafe moved closer, feeling the static in the air, the residue of the torture Kate had suffered.

Rafe lifted her gently into his arms, feeling a slight shock as he did. Then he turned and ran for the stairs.

It brought back memories. Once he had ran Kate to this very mansion to save her life. Now he was running away from it to do the same.

The flames were higher and hotter now, turning everything to ash. But Rafe kept them at bay. Nothing was going to harm Kate now that he was here. And anyone who tried to would face his wrath.

Finally, Rafe emerged from the mansion and felt the sweet, cool night air. Even through the thick smoke coming from the mansion he could see the stars above. With a sign of relief, he looked for his allies, and found them huddled at the edge of the lawn, having won the battle.

He broke into a sprint, leaping over the bodies of monsters that littered the ground. He ran away from the fire and towards the safety of those he could trust. 

Michael saw him coming first. He let out a shout and the others turned to see the dark haired boy with the green eyes that blazed with anger, soot covering his pale face, carrying the beloved blonde who was unconscious in his arms.

Emma was the first to dash to her sister, taking Kate's limo hand in both her own. She watched to make sure Kate was breathing, and when she was certain her sister was alive, she looked up at Rafe, "what happened to her?!"

Rafe's voice was raw as he replied, "the Dire Magnus- he tortured her in an electric chair. That, and she just pulled off an incredible feat of magic. She's been put through the ringer."

"Poor Kate," Michael mumbled, coming to stand beside Emma.

Emma had tears in her eyes, "I'll kill those bastards for this!"

"We'll make sure they pay," Rafe agreed. His eyes met Emma's and for a moment, they understood each other, united in their anger at this injustice.

They stood there like that, Michael, Emma, and Rafe, with their unconscious Kate, in silence for a moment before Rafe looked to the others, "have the monsters gone?"