17. Complicated Magic

The next day, after a breakfast of waffles, the Wibberly siblings, Wilamena, Abigail, and the two ghosts gathered in the small back room of Abigail's house. They were gathered there because it was closed off so no one could peep through a window and see what magic they were doing.

"Hey Abigail?" Michael asked, feeling more hopeful this morning than last night. He assumed it was the waffles. Waffles always brought a sense of joy.

The elderly woman turned to him, "Yeah?"

"Where are Jake and Beetles?"

Abigail sighed, "they went out to 'scout around' which more likely means fool around. I told them to pick up groceries on the way back though, so hopefully they do that one useful task."

"And what are we doing?" Emma questioned. She had spent a good portion of the night trying to puzzle out Rafe. He had been the Dire Magnus which should have made him automatically evil. But he had saved so many kids back in old NYC, and saved Kate's life too. That was good. So was he a good person or a bad person? Emma didn't know. She knew things weren't always black and white, but they weren't just shades of grey either. Humans were a rainbow of colors, and you didn't always know what those colors meant. It was all confusing and hard to puzzle out and it was frustrating Emma to no end.

"We're testing a theory of mine," Abigail said, "tell me, Michael, Emma, do you two have magic of any kind?"

"If we do, it's not been unlocked," Michael replied.

Abigail nodded, "I am presuming you do. So, we're gonna try and unlock it using a couple a' witch rituals I've learned throughout the years."

"This won't be dangerous for the children, right?" Gabriel said warily.

"Not at all," Abigail answered, "this won't hurt one bit. So, what'd ya say? You all up for it?"

"If the Michael and Emma are ok with it," the ghostly warrior replied.

The siblings exchanged glances. Emma answered for both of them when she said, "we'll do it."

"Alright," Abigail said, getting to business, "then I'm going to need you to stand in the center of the room. I'll light the candles, Wilamena, you find me some chalk. Hopefully the ritual works and your magic will be unlocked."

"It better," Emma said, "if we're gonna fight the Dire Magnus and get Kate back, we need all the power we can get."

Once all the candles were lit, and placed at specific points around the room, Wilamena and Abigail drew a quick ritual circle around the Wibberly siblings with the chalk. Then they stepped back, Wilamena to stand alongside Gabriel and Rafe to watch the ritual, and Abigail just outside the circle to conduct it.

"Alright children, when I say the incantations, they will draw out any magic within you. So relax and hold your hands out as a channel for said power," Abigail instructed.

"Shouldn't we try and control this magic?" Michael asked.

Abigail shook her head, "we can work on that later, right now we're working on bringing your power out."

With that, she picked up her spellbook and began muttering in Latin. Over and over, she read the incantation. 

At first, Michael and Emma seemed confused, wondering what was supposed to be happening. But then the two felt heat inside their veins like a fire, like crackling electricity. It didn't feel bad though, it actually made them both feel good. Strong. They both closed their eyes to immerse themselves in their magic.

Abigail withheld her gasp so she could keep chanting, but still watched in awe as Michael and Emma experienced their magic for the first time. Sparks of visible power began to appear at their fingertips, red and orange for Michael and blue and purple for Emma.