Chapter 28: Hidden Desire

"You better be glad he's ok." Alby growls. "You and Newt need to work out what ever is going on because I can't have my two best Gladers fighting and messing up the whole Glade. Now fix it."

Your gaze shifts awkwardly over to Newt who's eyes are glued to the floor.

"Now!" Alby demands.

The two of you quickly exit the med-hut and stomp over into the woods, now known as the dead heads because of Chris and the others. When you finally reach a suitable place to talk you turn to Newt with a sigh.

"Look Newt, I know you disagree with me on this but a truly feel it's what's best for the Glade. Despite what it sounds like there is still hope, we have no idea what else could be out there, even if we've mapped the whole Maze. We need these boys to keep up hope, with out them we'll die." You explain.

Newt nods slowly, "Sadly I think you're right. We have to at least hope that they wouldn't put us in here without a purpose, maybe we just haven't figured out what we're supposed to do yet."

Half a smile creeps onto your face, "Yeah, we just haven't found our purpose yet."

"I'm really sorry that ended the way it did," You continue, "I hope we're still good friends."

At the word 'friends' your stomach tenses up, as if deep down inside you're hoping for something else. The word friends don't seem to fit, it feels awkward and wrong. Not because you don't want to be friends, it's almost a desire for more.

Newt hesitates and you start to wonder if he's feeling the same way, then he reaches out his hand with a nod.

"Yeah. Friends."

You swallow your strange desire and shake his hand, offering the same half smile.

"I hope we're still good friends." Y/n continues softly.

Newt cringes inwardly at the word 'friends'. It feels basic and bland. Inside he feels so much more than friends, he desires more. Y/n could never feel the same, that's how she felt about Chris, and when he died it was like her whole world was ending. How could she ever feel like that about him? Reluctantly Newt offers his hand and says the basic bland words,

"Yeah. Friends."

To his hope he almost senses her disappointment. Maybe she could feel the same way about him. With the sinking of his heart, Y/n shakes his hand accepting that basic and bland word. They could be so much more. Newt scolds himself inwardly for thinking such things. Here he stands in the middle of a deadly and unsolvable Maze, doomed for life and all he can think about is her. How crappy could his life get?

Newt and Y/n walk slowly back to the Glade, the conversation being over. Yet the conversation feels unfinished. Like stopping a movie right before the actions starts, right before it gets interesting. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Time continued to pass, as time does and things seemed to normalize... until Gally got "better". He had seemed strange enough while he was cooped up inside, you just figured it would get better once he got some fresh air. You figured wrong. First thing Gally did once he was allowed to leave the med-hut was get into an argument and beat the clunk out of the other guy. He was then thrown into the slammer for harming another Glader.

Your feet crunch over the grass as you make you way over to the slammer to release Gally. You smile softly as you see Gally, peacefully asleep through the bars. Despite your gentle knocking Gally states awake, screaming profanities. Then his eyes meet yours and its like all his worries simply melted away.

"Sorry Y/n." Gally mumbles.

You smile sweetly at him, "That's alright Gally. I didn't mean to startle you." You pause, "You ready to get out of here?"

Gally looks up at you with sparkling eyes.

"Please. Get me out of here, I can't spend this much time with myself. It's a dark place in there"

Something about his words makes you uneasy. What could he mean by that?

"Well then, come on." You say, brushing away his comment.

Gally smiles brightly and makes a mad dash for the kitchen and Fry Pan's food.

You chuckle slightly, watching as he runs. Your heart jumps into your throat as a warm hand is placed suddenly on your shoulder. You whip around to face a laughing Newt.

"Sorry to startle you." You manages to say between laughter.

You roll your eyes slapping him playfully on the shoulder.

"You're really good at that, you know." Newt adds, suddenly turning quite sincere.

"What do you mean?"

"Calming people down with just a look. Just by being you. You have a way of dealing with people that's truly spectacular."

You feel a slight warmth traveling to your cheeks as you smile at his compliment.

"Thanks Newt. That means a lot to me." You pause for a moment thinking, "What makes you say that now though?"

Newt shrugs, "I admire you. You have this annoying ability to smile even in the dark."

You let out a soft giggle. Why is he being so nice all of a sudden? It doesn't matter, you like it. It's nice to be appreciated. He's nice.

"Thanks Newt." You say with a goofy grin turning to walk to the kitchen.

Something inside you urges you to look back at Newt, and for some reason you do just that. With a quick glance you see him watching you walk away. His eyes glisten with longing and sparkle with admiration. Your heart skips a beat and a new feeling buzzes in your chest. For a split second your lips smile the same smile as his. It's just a moment but it's like nothing you've ever felt before. You look away before your cheeks become flushed and you hurry off to the kitchen.

Then someone screams. And you start to run faster to the kitchen.