Chapter 47: A Code

You rest your head in the palm of your hand as the surrounding voices fill your ears. Finally, the day has come to sentence Thomas to some sort of punishment.

    "Banish him!" Gally exclaims. "He broke our number one rule, he went into the Maze." Minho stands to his feet, speaking for the first time since the beginning of the meeting.

    "Yeah. He also killed a Griever. What he did out there was spectacular. He showed bravery and skill like nothing I've ever seen. When I ran, he stayed with Y/n and saved Alby's shucking life! We can't banish him. He may be a dumb shank, but I say we need more dumb shanks like him! That's the kind of attitude that will get us out of this Maze."

    Like a king who had just delivered a glorious speech Minho sits back in his chair, arms crossed over his chest and head held high.

    Newt sighs, tapping his clipboard on the table.

"Right then. We will take a vote. Write what you think his punishment should be, then pass the board. No funny business, just get it done."

    He passes the clipboard to you first, and you scribble your vote; No punishment. We need more dumb shanks like him. You pass the clipboard to Fry beside you.

    Thomas's face sinks deeper and deeper into a sickly pale color as the clipboard is passed to each person. Every few seconds he wipes his palms on his pants, leaving traces of sweat.

    Finally, the board is handed to Newt, who reads over the list silently. He looks up, clearing his throat.

    "Right. Averaging out your votes, I sentence Thomas to one night in the Slammer as well as being given the rank of Runner."

    Gally jumps to his feet, face glowing red with rage.

"You can't be serious! What happened to order!? I keep telling you guys, this greenie is no good! I saw him! I went through the changing! He's with them don't you see?? You're just giving him exactly what he wants! He's going to kill us all!"

    "Gally that's enough." Newt says forcefully.

"You don't get to tell me what's enough Newt. Who put you in charge anyway?"

    "I did." A voice booms from behind you.

You whip your head around to see Alby, looking better than ever. You jump to your feet running up to him with a cautious smile on your face.

    "Alby. You're awake. How are you?" You ask as Newt walks up behind you.

"Better now that I'm awake." He pauses placing a hand on your shoulder, "Thanks for not giving up on me. Jeff told me the whole story."

    You smile up at him, "Of course." 

"Meeting is over! My word is final." Newt shouts over his shoulder before looking back at Alby. "Thanks for backing me up mate."

    "Anytime. I couldn't have my second in command be treated like that could I?"

That night, Alby stands with the rest of the Keepers, strong as ever, as Ben is Banished to the glade. Only a few boys ever had to be banished. Every time you question the thought of banishment. The morality of it. 'Order' Newt's favorite word comes to mind. It's so we can maintain order. All the same, you decide to call it an early night and you stay in your room. Although as Ben's anguished screams claw into your ears, you realize you won't be sleeping at all tonight.

    The next morning you awake to reports that Gally has gone missing. Winston states that he was last seen sneaking into the Maze. Despite the troubles he had given you in the past, which weren't completely his fault, the thought of him sacrificing himself to the Grievers haunted your dreams. Another friend lost to the Maze.

    Before you release Thomas from the slammer, you ask Minho if he'd keep an eye out for any sign of Gally.

    "There's hardly a chance that he's still alive." He responds.

"We did it."

    "He's not us."

You sigh, gaze falling to the ground. Minho lifts your chin, smiling weakly,

    "I'll keep a look out."

"Thank you."

    You watch as Thomas and Minho run off into the Maze to inspect the cliff one more time. The night before you begged to go with them, but Newt wouldn't have seeing as you still need to heal. Although you pouted then, it's clear to you that he's right. You're in no shape to go back out there. So you wait.

    As they run into the Glade later that night, Minho immediately calls a gathering. As everyone takes their seats, Thomas starts to speak.

    "The Maze is a code. The patterns may seem to be random but they're not. They form a code." He explains all in one breath.

    Alby looks at him warily, "How do you know this."

Thomas turns pink, "I...I... Well it's just a hunch, but I'm sure if we study the maps they'll prove me right." Thomas stammers.

    The room erupts in an uproar of frustrated voices. Through the madness you pull Thomas aside.

    "You're going to need more than that to convince them" You whisper harshly.

"That's all I got." Thomas replays sheepishly.

    "I know that's not true, so tell me what's going on."

"You wouldn't believe me."

    "Bet."

"Fine. Theresa told me. She's been having dreams similar to mine, she sees glimpses of our past life. She said the key to leaving the Maze is a code, that the Maze itself is that code."

Who is the king of glory? The Lord of Heaven's Armies- he is the King of glory. Psalms 24:10