Chapter 42: Back Against the Wall

Darkness has never fallen faster. By the time you and Thomas get Alby tied to a sturdy vine and positioned, the sky has turned deep black, only interrupted by the slight glittering of stars. The cold of the night is a stark difference to the heat of the day as it chills you to the bone. Your hands tremble and your heart pounds inside your chest as you work. Your head jerks at every sound, every whisper of danger. Silence creeps in the air as you and Thomas work, your hands raw with blisters as you use what strength you have left to pull Alby higher and higher.

Then the clicks start. They echo through the stone, bouncing off the walls as they grow closer and closer. Thomas's face is pale with terror.

"It's time to go." You whisper harshly.

Thomas shakes his head, "Just a little more..."

"No. Let's go." You demand fear restricting any hope for a kind tone.

The clicks are joined by metallic grinding and the whirring of blades. The sound fills your ears, warning you of near danger. You can't think straight. Whirrs and clicks, whirrs and clicks. You and Thomas tie off the vine, using as many as you can to make sure it's sturdy. Whirrs and clicks, whirrs and clicks. You tie the last knot and Thomas takes off in a run, you behind him. Your heart jumps into your throat as you fall to the ground, foot caught in a heap of vines. You scream. No. No no no. The whirrs and clicks come to a stop. Silence screaming in your ears. Then they howl. A gut wrenching, bone chilling howl. You look up at Thomas.

"Run." You hiss.

Thomas doesn't need any other word. He takes off down the hall as the Grievers battle cry grows louder and louder. You flip on to your back, frantically ripping at the vines around your ankle. Your fingers shake uncontrollably and slip around the slick vines. Your whole body trembles as the whines and groans close in on you. At last your ankle slips free and you jump to your feet. You don't run. Something is not right. A cold trickle winds down your spine. It's eerily silent. Silent.

Slowly you tilt your head to the sky. The Griever screams its battle cry falling from the sky. Your feet start to move and suddenly you're running for your life down the endless halls. The beast crashes down the hallway in pursuit, causing a cacophony of enraged shrieks and grinding squeals. Your legs burn as your feet pound against the stone. You've never run faster in your life. Turn after turn you lead the monster down winding paths, making note of each turn, hoping to lose it in the blades. You stop. A dead end. Shuck.

The creature comes to a halt behind you, taking its time to enjoy the kill of its prey. You slowly turn to face it. Its flesh pulsing to an ominous rhythm, blades of every shape and size protruding from its body in deadly form. Metallic legs click lightly as it creeps forward. A low whine vibrating from deep inside anticipating the kill. The smell of burnt flesh foreshadowing death.

Your back hits the wall.

 Your  breaths are heavy and ragged, as your mind flicks trough possible ways to survive as you stare down the Griever. Your fingers slide past the vines and an idea comes to mind. You make your move.

You spin around facing that wall and start to climb. The Griever howls in protest. Your arms and legs work together as you climb higher and higher. The Griever is better. It lunges upward, latching its blades into the stones, ferociously tearing at vines as it closes in on you. Your hand grasps the top of the wall and you push your body onto the flat surface and start to run.

The monster is right on your heals whirring and clicking to catch up. Ahead, the wall ends. It's too late to think, your legs start to move faster and faster anticipating the jump. The Griever swings its blade behind you, barely missing as you leap of the edge of the wall. For a split second you get the sensation of flying as you hover above the Maze. But what comes up must come down. Gravity tugs at your feet dragging you down to the ground and your heart drops. Yet, before you reach the ground your body slams into the adjacent wall knocking the breath from your lungs, your fingers desperately grasping at vines to stop your momentum.

Your hands burn as they grab a solid vine, its coarse texture ripping the skin on your hands. You bite your lip, forcing down a scream. With a horrible crash the Griever jumps, shaking the wall with its momentum. It pauses its pursuit as its blades become wedged in the wall. That split second of hesitation is all you need. You let go of the vines and let gravity carry you to the stone floor. You land with a jolt, and pain streaking up your legs yet still you run.

Turn and turn and turn, you wind through the halls, hearing the Grievers enraged wails as it continues its chase. At this point you've completely lost track of where you are as you winds through the endless corridors. You cut corners and make unexpected turns all in the hopes of loosing the beast. Despite your efforts the creature still follows, slicing at your heals. Pain claws at every inch of your body as you run.

You run until you're forced to stop. As you turn a corner you run face first into something moving. You fall back onto the coarse stone, catching yourself on your elbows. Your first fear is that you've run into yet another Griever. When you lift your head you find a welcome surprise. Minho. He takes one look at you, grabs you by the wrist and the two of you run of down yet another corridor. It doesn't take long for the Maze to go silent. You and Minho slow to a stop thing panting breaths.

"I think we lost it." Minho finally breathes.

You sigh. "How'd you find me?"

"The same way you found me, by accident." Minho grunts.

Finally having a break your whole body starts to tremble with exhaustion. You slowly sink down to a seated position, yet stop when Minho kicks your thigh.

"What do you think you're doing? We're not done yet." He says.

You roll your eyes standing to your feet. He's right, the night isn't over yet.