Chapter 34: New Problems

You look Minho in the eye, forcing surprise off your face. How could he possibly know what you've been feeling about Newt?

"I don't know what you're talking about." You say as you start to walk away.

Minho swiftly grabs you by the wrist. You turn to face him slowly, and you see his sympathetic face.

"You both are a couple hopeless lovers." Minho says blissfully.

Your mouth falls open. Your heart skips a beat, and suddenly it's very warm.

"Did... Did you say both?" You stutter.

Minho's eyes widen.

"Erm, not intentionally."

"You mean Newt likes me?!" You ask astounded.

Minho scratches the back of his head,

"The dude is in love with you." He pauses, "But don't tell him I told you."

Your whole world starts to spin. You never imagined that he could or would ever feel the same way about you. You don't even know how to react. On one hand your heart is about to burst with joy and anxiousness. But your mind screams at you that this is so very bad.

"Seriously?" You whisper with wide eyes.

"Yeah. Head over heals driving himself crazy over you." Minho shrugs. "And by the look on your face I can guess that you feel the same way."

"No! Well I, um, yes. But no, Yeah. I... I..."

Minho places a finger on your lips.

"Shhhh... No need to speak. Minho knows everything."

You remove his finger.

"Yeah...Ok." You pause to look at your feet. "Ok so maybe I do have a thing for Newt, but he better not hear a word of it from you!"

Minho raises his hands in surrender.

"Not a word from me. But in all seriousness I think you should say something. He's a mess in there just thinking about you."

Your eyes widen in shock for a second time that evening. That must have been why he was so upset. Not because you beat him. In the fight circle, but because Minho teased him about you! You really should say something, at least to ease his tensions. But tonight isn't a good night. There's that new Greenie Thomas to take care of. Tomorrow, you tell yourself. Tomorrow you'll tell him what's going on.

"Thanks Minho." You say with a smile. "Don't worry, we'll get it all sorted out tomorrow!"

Minho nods appreciatively and walks back to the bonfire to watch Thomas the Greenie go head to head against Gally.

  Your feet pound against the familiar stone ground of the Maze as you make your way through your weekly routine. Minho runs by your side as you run toward sector 5. You and Minho stop for a mid-morning snack and he turns to you with a question.

"So have you talked to Newt yet?"

You laugh. "Not yet. I'll talk to him tonight. He awake when we left." You explain.

Minho frowns. "You could've woke him up, that would have been super romantic." He says sarcastically. Then he stands to his feet and mimicing your voice says, "Oh Newt! I just couldn't wait to tell you! I'm so in love with you! You take up my every thought. You fill my dreams! OH NEWT!! How have I survived this long without you!?" And to top it all off he starts to mimic kissing faces.

You roll your eyes with a laugh.

"Minho, you're insane."

"Thank you." He responds with a bow.

You take the first step, continuing through the Maze. Almost immediately you're startled out of your skin by the blare of the Greenie alarm. You look at Minho to see your confusion mirrored on his face.

"Could it be..." Minho starts.

"The Greenie alarm? Sounds like it."

"Well... I guess we should head back then."

"Yeah... Right."

With that the two of you take off back into the glade, with a new sense of urgency. Within minutes you're taking the last few strides and entering a panicked glade. In the distance, you spot Newt, Alby, and the other Keepers walking into the Homestead, most likely for a gathering. Without missing a beat, you and Minho change courses heading straight toward the Homestead.

You walk into a room full of shouting and confusion. Yet to your surprise the room falls silent to your entry. You look around the room, glancing briefly at all the faces staring back at you. Then your eyes meet Newt's and you can't help but blush. You shake away the emotion and Minho closes the door behind you.

"Ok." You start, "So what the shuck is happening?"

All voices respond at once all saying relatively the same thing.

"New Greenie."

"Girl."

"Dead."

"Only a day later!"

"Ok, ok." You interrupt. "Alby what happened?"

He sighs, "We got a new Greenie today. A girl. She looked dead but woke up suddenly screaming that everything would change. She had a note in her hand. She's the last Greenie ever. Oh, and she's still unconscious so she can't answer any of our questions." He rattles off.