Chapter 33: The Matchmaker

"Just go talk to her dude!" Minho says offering his hand to Newt, who shakes his head.

"Minho you know I can't do that." Newt says with a sigh, "It wont help anything anyhow. No way she would even think about me with everything she's gone through."

Minho raises a brow. "You mean Chris?"

Newt's shoulders sag at the mention of the name. He can't decide how he feels about Chris. His death was devastating, but he always hated it when he was around. Something about he was so... so perfect drove Newt insane. But when he died, Y/n broke. That was the scariest and the most heartbreaking thing to watch. The way the sorrow tore her apart. She loved him. Newt just couldn't tell what was worse, watching her love him, or watching her be so devastated over his death.

"Yeah. I mean Chris." Newt snaps back. "I can't even begin to think about liking her after what happened. It's nothing more than hopeless dreaming."

Minho frowns. Something tells him to encourage his friend, tell him to go for it, no regrets. They're all probably going to die in there anyway. Yet the words don't come out just right...

"You gotta act fast. All these shanks are starting to make googly eyes at her and it's just a matter of time before one of them goes for it."

Newt's gaze drops to his toes and Minho knows he messed up. Yet he keeps talking.

"What did you expect? She's the only girl in this whole place. You had to have known that you weren't the only one with eyes for her."

Newt's head snaps up to look Minho in the eye. Minho really messed up now.

"Yeah? You think I didn't bloody know that already? Of course I know that every guy in here has their eyes popping out of their heads just to look at her. That doesn't help me and my uselessness!" With that, Newt storms off into the Homestead.

The door slams behind Newt and he throws himself onto his bed. Why does Minho have to be such an idiot about so many things. He just doesn't understand what Newt is going through. Newt doesn't even really understand what he's going through.

As Newt lays back on his bed, groaning and overthinking everything that happened, there's a soft knock on the door.

"Go away Minho." He shouts.

There's a giggle.

"It's not Minho." A soft, lovely voice responds. Y/n.

Newt jerks himself upright and runs to the door and a little too quickly he swings it open to reveal Y/n's kind and shocked face.

 "Everything Alright Newt?" You ask in his doorway. "I'd hate to think I actually hurt you."

Newt frowns, "No, you didn't hurt me. Minho was just being Minho about it."

You laugh, Minho tends to mock the loser of any fight. He means it just for fun of course, yet Newt isn't the first person you've had to console after Minho teased them.

"I know what you mean." You say softly.

Newt's eyes widen in shock, "You... You do?" He asks nervously.

"Of course I do!" Newt looks sick to his stomach. "Don't worry about it Newt, Minho teases all the guys after they loose a fight. I think it's his way of trying to make friends."

Newt's shoulders relax. You smile, not having a single clue of what's going on in Newt's head. Unknown to you he thought Minho had told you everything about Newt's crush.

"Thanks Y/n. I appreciate it." Newt says dryly averting his eyes from your face.

Something else is wrong, You see it in the why his face sinks and his eyes look anywhere but at you. You sit carefully next to Newt o his bed.

"Is everything else alright?" You ask.

Newt looks you in the eye and forces a smile.

"Yeah. Couldn't be better."

You sigh, turning your gaze to your knees. There are so many things you want to say to him, but none of them are fitting. You want to tell him just how much you care about him. You want to tell him how when he pulled you on top of him your heart started to race. You want to take his cute face in your hands and kiss him hard... You shake the thought away. You can't. Newt would never feel the same about you. He would probably hate you forever if you did that. As much as it kills you, you have to remain friends.

Sadness tugs at your heart as you force out words that hold no meaning,

"I'm glad. And I hope that if you ever need to talk to someone, you will come to me."

Newt nods and you slowly walk out of his room, closing the door softly behind you. You're instantly faced by Minho.

"Come with me." He says, without another word, he turns and walks down the hall.

With a shrug, you do as he says, following him out the door. Behind his back, you roll your eyes at the strangeness of the whole situation.

Minho sits down at a picnic table away from the bon-fire. You sit across for him and wait curiously for him to speak.

"Whats wrong with Newt?" He asks blandly.

IN the same way you respond, "I don't know."

"What wrong with you?"

"Nothing."

"Wrong answer. You love Newt and you don't know what to do about it." Minho states.