making introductions

I know I need to update my other fics. And I will! Just not right now. I need to get my TDP feelings out. Thus, this completely self-indulgent rayllum college!au was created. I am having so much fun writing it, and I hope you enjoy reading it at least that much, too. :)

xXxXxXx

"Katolis State University is proud to introduce its first Xadian exchange student in over one hundred years - everyone, please give a warm welcome to Rayla Moonshadow!"

Callum found himself cringing at the contrast between his stepfather's genuine excitement and the student body's... lackluster response.

"I feel bad for her," Claudia murmured, resting her chin on her hand. "I understand why your dad is so happy, especially since he pushed so hard with the state to allow her to be here, but so many Katolians still don't like Xadians. I mean, look at the poor girl's face!"

Claudia had a point - the Xadian student did look extremely uncomfortable. Though Callum could clearly see that she was tall, she was standing in a manner that made her appear much smaller. Her white hair hung down to hide part of her face, the lavender streaks dancing through it almost washed away by the stage's bright lights.

"Rayla will study here for the remainder of her sophomore year. If all goes well, one of you will attend the Xadian Academy next year," Harrow continued. "But that is not something any of you need to worry yourselves over at the moment. I expect you all to make Rayla feel welcome here."

"Maybe we should go talk to her afterwards," Callum blurted out as his father continued to speak. He flushed when he realized what he'd suggested - apparently the words had left his mouth before they'd finished being processed in his brain.

Soren raised an eyebrow. "Where did that sudden eagerness come from?"

Callum shrugged, aware of how red his face had to be but ignoring it. "Like Claudia said. I feel kinda bad for her."

Claudia popped her gum, shrugging. "I'm down. Since she's a sophomore, I might even have a few classes with her. Based on the anti-Xadian attitudes of... of more than a few kids at this school, I have a feeling she'll accept any company she can get. Even if it is from weirdos like us."

Soren laughed as he jokingly elbowed his sister in the stomach. "Don't lump me in with the two of you." He pulled his phone out of his pocket to check the time. "Ugh. I have a class after this, so I can't join you. But..." He put his phone away. "If you happen to hit it off, we can all go out one night and I can properly meet her."

"Roger that," Claudia said with a mock-salute, earning another elbow from Soren and laughter from Callum.

"Rayla, is there anything you want to say to your new classmates?" Harrow's voice brought the attention of the three back to the stage.

The girl attempted to smile, though it was clearly more of a grimace. "Ah... I'm thankful for this opportunity." Her accent was thick, but not enough for her to be misunderstood.

Harrow nodded, returning the mic to beneath his face. "And we are all grateful that you decided to take advantage of it."

As his dad continued to drone on about the significance of the girl's attendance at the school, Callum found his attention drifting down to his sketchbook. He was in the middle of working on a picture of his brother, Ezran, and Ezran's leopard gecko, Bait. The jagged line that trailed to the edge of the page indicated the point at which he'd gotten distracted. He sighed and carefully erased it, doing his best to avoid smudging the graphite. He wanted to give the picture to Ezran for his fourteenth birthday, which wasn't for another two and a half months, but his inspiration tended to wax and wane thus he decided to begin working on it early. He became so focused on his sketch that he didn't notice the assembly had begun to disperse until Claudia snapped her fingers in front of his nose, startling him and causing him to drop his pencil and very nearly drop his sketchbook.