callum has a midlife crisis at age 18

At last: the party. Y'all, I really enjoyed writing this chapter. Idk how you guys are gonna feel, but for me it was just such a chef's kiss moment. (Also, I loved reading everyone's thoughts on Felix last chapter; literally nothing brings me more joy than your theories!!) I hope you're all staying safe in this time of corona-craziness. Remember: wash your hands and stay 6 ft apart! Enjoy the chapter. :)

WARNING: There are descriptions of a panic attack near the end of this chapter; please read with caution if you are sensitive to such.

xXxXxXx

"Rayla, you look awesome!" Felix exclaimed as he stepped aside to allow the group of four to enter his house, pop music filtering in from the background. "Ooh, let me guess - an elf? Or... maybe a dryad?"

"An elf, obviously," Rayla said, gesturing to her horns and giving Felix an amused smirk. "I thought these made that clear."

Honestly, the horns had just made Callum confused about her costume, but he didn't plan on mentioning that. Either way they still looked great.

Felix laughed. "You're right. Do forgive me." He turned to give everyone else a once-over. "Okay. Claudia, you've got some major dark wizard vibes going on."

"Dark mage," Claudia corrected, but she was grinning.

"Mage! Got it, got it." He then studied Callum, pursing his lips. "If she's a dark mage, I'd say you're a sort of... light mage, then? But you've also got a crown on, so there's clearly some elements of royalty, too..."

Callum forced himself to smile at Felix, unsure of why the football player's presence had put such a damper on his previously cheerful mood. "I was aiming for a prince who's a sky mage, but 'light mage' works, too."

Felix laughed, pumping his fist. "Alright! I count that as a victory for myself." He then turned to Soren. "Hm. Some sort of warrior guard? You've got a ton of armor on."

"I'm Callum's crowd guard!" Soren said with a grin, shouldering his sword and looking terribly pleased with himself. "Pretty cool, huh?"

"Um, obviously," Felix said, grinning as wide as Soren. "I'm so glad you guys were all able to make it! Food and drinks are in the kitchen. Jason and Lucas are making sure alcoholic and non-alcoholic stuff is staying separate, so don't accept drinks from anyone other than them. Cool?" Upon them nodding in response, he flashed them a thumbs up before taking Rayla's hand in his, and Callum felt a weird, nauseating sensation start to roll in his stomach when Rayla made no move to pull away. "Okay," he said, beginning to lead her through the main room, "I need to properly introduce you to more of my wrestling friends!"

Rayla rolled her eyes but was smiling, and after giving the remaining trio a quick wave she allowed herself to be dragged off before anyone could get a word out in protest.

Callum was tempted to follow them. In fact, he really wanted to follow them. Just to make sure Rayla wasn't alone, of course. He had no ulterior motives - he was only looking out for his friend. His friend who'd seemed annoyingly happy to go hang out with Felix and his wrestling buddies. That wasn't weird of him, was it? Maybe he needed to -

"Ooh, could I be detecting a hint of jealousy from Callum?" Claudia snickered, not-so-casually elbowing Soren away. Her brother rolled his eyes in response but obliged, disappearing into the crowd of the party.

"No, I -"

"Who am I kidding," Claudia continued, not letting him finish. "There is way more than a 'hint' of jealousy here. It's practically a truckload at this point."