bait, please don't eat your bowtie

1. When protests against police brutality arise, privileged folks (generally white people) tend to ask "well, what about black-on-black crime? isn't that a problem, too?" I'm here to tell you that it is incredibly important to recognize this sentence for what it is: a tactic for drawing attention away from the racism embedded in America's police force. Think of it this way - no one ever asks about "white-on-white crime", do they? Even though most white victims of crime are attacked by white assailants! The fact is that higher crime rates are intrinsically rated to poverty, and because of systemic racism, POC (especially Black people!) suffer from greater poverty (think about how public schools in areas largely occupied by POC receive less funding). So next time some asshole tries to bring up "black-on-black crime", recognize their statement as the red herring diversionary tactic that it is and call them out on it!

HAVE Y'ALL HEARD - NETFLIX PICKED UP THE SAGA! WE'RE GETTING ALL 7 SEASONS OF TDP! I'm ecstatic, if you couldn't tell. Maybe this is 2020's way of apologizing for everything we've gone through. Anyways - I hope you enjoy the chapter! :)

xXxXxXx

"Is everything in place for Ezran's party?" Harrow asked frantically as he returned to the main room of his house, anxiously pacing back and forth. "He's going to be back with Soren any minute -"

"Dad, it's perfect," Callum interrupted, trying to mask his own nerves in his attempt to reassure his stepfather. "Ezran is going to love it." He glanced at Claudia, who was sitting on the couch behind him, and silently mouthed, Right?

Claudia rolled her eyes. Which was fair. She put up with them panicking every year. "Both of you are stressing yourselves out way more than necessary. Everything is fine and Ezran will appreciate and adore all of it! Besides, he said himself that he hates big, fancy parties, right? So you listened to him, you processed that information, and you created the perfect, simple, super fun gathering customized exactly to his wishes. Not to mention you've having his party the day before his birthday, just like he asks every year! I promise. It's all gonna be great."

"I just wish Amaya could have made it," Harrow said with a sigh. "It's been such a long time since Ezran last saw her, and -"

"- and that is not something within your control," Callum pointed out, already feeling calmer thanks to Claudia's logic. It's a good thing she knew how to keep a rational, level head. When she felt like it, at least. "Besides, didn't you say she'll be coming for winter break instead? So it's not like me and Ezran won't get to see her at all this year. Her visit is just delayed."

Harrow hesitated, then nodded, though the stress lines on his forehead didn't entirely disappear.

"As a complete outsider to these family traditions," Rayla said from the recliner she'd lay claim to, "I think everything looks awesome. You've got a cookie cake, his favorite jelly tarts, a bowtie for Bait - what more could he want?"

Harrow groaned. "Of course! A party hat for Bait!" He shook his head, chastising himself. "How could we forget?"

"Lucky for you..." Claudia began, fishing around in her purse, "I'm prepared for everything." She pulled her hand out and opened her palm to reveal a small red party hat. "One Bait-sized accessory, at your service!"

Harrow sighed in relief as Callum took the party hat from his friend and carefully fastened it to Bait's head. The lizard licked its eye in response.

"They're five minutes away," Rayla announced, quickly reading a text on her phone. "Also, Soren says they did pick up Aanya already, he just forgot to send a text about it."

"And there we go!" Claudia said triumphantly. "Now all the guests are accounted for. Neither of you have any reason to continue stressing."

Harrow chewed his bottom lip. "I'm... I'm going to check the kitchen table one last time. Make sure the food is arranged correctly."