chocolate and camaraderie

Well, I'm still quarantined. I managed to find some time amidst all my AP prep to get in a little writing, and honestly it was a much-needed break. Enjoy the chapter!

xXxXxXx

Callum had expected his Saturday to be relatively calm. He had no weekend classes and he'd already completed his assignments that were due the following week. Thus, his only plans had been to relax, which was why he was sitting at his desk with his headphones in and his sketchbook laid out in front of him. He was currently working on his stadium-colosseum piece, which he'd yet to think of a proper title for.

In his defense, titles were a problem for when the picture was complete.

Thus, Callum had not expected anyone to text him, much less show up at his dorm, which was why he at first did not notice his phone buzz nor did he hear people banging on his door.

Rayla: Callum

Rayla: Caaallum

Rayla: Callum

Rayla: Open up

Claudia: can you not hear us knocking?? we have big news!! (also rayla might break down the door if you don't hurry)

Soren: LET US IN

Three different people. Three different text threads. Three different ways of letting him know they were all, presumably, waiting not-very-patiently outside of his dorm.

It seemed his relaxation period would have to be postponed.

Callum turned off his music and took out his headphones, making sure to coil them neatly and drop them into a small cup on his desk before he headed to the door of his dorm. "Alright, alright," he called as he unlocked it and pulled it open. "I'm here. You can all -"

He was cut off by three people rushing inside, with one person in particular knocking the air out of his lungs as they crushed him in a tight hug.

"R-Rayla?" he stammered, recognizing her white hair in a matter of seconds. He tried and failed to subtly take in a deep breath and restore oxygen to his lungs before returning her hug, though he had no idea as to what had brought on her sudden affection. Not that he was complaining. "Um... What's going on?"

Rayla pulled out of the hug and beamed at him, her hands remaining atop his shoulders. "I'm on the team!"

Callum blinked. "You're - what?"

Rayla rolled her eyes in mock-exasperation, the smile that stayed on her face betraying her true excitement. "The football team, dummy! I'm a wide receiver!"

It took another moment for her words to register in his brain. When they did, his eyes widened. "Rayla, that's so awesome!" He then proceeded to pull her into another hug, wrapping his arms around her lower back. "I'm so happy for you!" He knew how much the football team meant to her, and he did his best to convey that sentiment by letting the hug linger.

Definitely had nothing to do with his personal enjoyment of the hug.

"Callum, you are looking at KSU's finest wide receiver in history," Soren said proudly, wiping an imaginary tear from his eye. "She's going to be amazing."

"You should have seen her at tryouts yesterday after you left," Claudia gushed. "She straight up hurdled a corner! No defender is going to stand a chance against her."

Callum pulled out of the hug, aware of the admiration that had to be shining in his eyes. "Wow," he said, unable to keep the awe out of his voice. His hands slipped perfectly into Rayla's. "That's incredible."