no, they didn't play football in the roman colosseum

I am currently "quarantined" because of COVID-19, so here is a new chapter before the end of March! As was pointed out to me, even quarantine has a silver lining. Everyone, stay safe, practice social distancing, and WASH YOUR HANDS! I hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

xXxXxXx

"Don't ask me anything about what we reviewed in class," Rayla announced as she practically marched down the steps of the history building. "I'm not sure I understood a single word Professor Dupuy said to us." She grinned sheepishly at Callum. "I hope your notes are thorough, because I'm definitely going to need them for our test next week."

Callum rolled his eyes but laughed as he followed her out. "Yes, Rayla, I will let you use my notes, and yes, I will help you study." He winked at her. "I know that's what you're really asking."

"Aw, you know me so well," she teased. "But seriously - thank you."

"Uh huh. You're welcome." Callum realized as he spoke that Rayla was walking towards the bus stop - or, more importantly, he noticed that she was walking away from him - and he grabbed her arm to stop her. "You don't need to take the bus," he explained when she glanced back at him in confusion. "I went ahead and drove to this class because I need to leave your tryouts early to watch Ezran. Since I have my car, it means I can drive you there."

"Ah," Rayla said slowly as he let go of her arm, a smile widening on her face. "Smart prince. I knew I kept you around for some reason."

"Entertainment value."

The two walked to his car, which Callum had made sure to back into a parking spot for ease of exiting. He didn't want to make Rayla late. He knew how important this was for her.

"So," he said as he turned the key in the ignition, the car sputtering to a start. Rayla buckled in next him. "Do you feel prepared for your tryout?"

"Before I answer that," Rayla began, adjusting her seatbelt so it wasn't pressed so high on her neck, "there's something I need to get off my chest." She muttered something in a language that Callum didn't recognize - that said, her tone of exasperation was universal. "It is just so weird that you drive on the right side of the road! I mean, I've taken buses for the most part since I got here - I should probably make the school pay for a rental car - but I still always feel like someone is going to ram into me."

Callum snorted, unsure of what he'd been expecting her to say but knowing that it hadn't been that. "Of all the things you've complained about so far, I'm not sure if that's the most or least valid."

"Shut up. I didn't tell you because I wanted your criticism. Like I said - I just wanted to get it off my chest!"

Callum laughed at the emphasis she put on her words from earlier as he pulled out of the parking lot, having to first wait for several cars to pass before he could make a left turn across the road. "Anyways. My initial question?"

"Oh, right." Rayla shrugged. "I mean, I guess I am. I've been preparing for what - a week and a half? For most people that probably wouldn't have been enough time, but I think it was for me." She pulled a hair tie out of her booksack, somehow not spilling the athletic clothes haphazardly stuffed inside all over the floor of his car. She ran her hand through her hair to smooth it before pulling it up into a tight topknot. "I'm fast, I'm strong, and I understand the game. I don't know what else I could have done."

"Not to flex on your own abilities or anything."

"Nah, of course not." She finished tying up her hair before sending him an amused smile. "But physically I am completely capable of playing. Simple as that. And since I'm about average height for a guy in his late teens..." She paused. "Well, my height combined with my speed means I have little trouble catching the ball. I just outrun the corner defending me." Then she sighed, and Callum noticed doubt flicker in her eyes. "I just have to hope that this coach isn't quite so... xenophobic. Or sexist."