Chapter 5

I looked up to Paul with a look of mortification. He offered a small grin, but was evidently not pleased with his band mates. It had almost felt like an intimate moment between Paul and I, like we'd bonded, for some reason now I felt so violated.

Paul and I had slipped back out from the recording studio into the hallway, avoiding an encounter with the other three. I was glad, my embarrassment was evident as we walked out, neither of us saying much.

He had shown me around and gradually I began to feel more comfortable again, Paul was being a charming goof as he did his best to cheer me back up.

I had gotten the blessing to even sit in on the boy's session once they'd reassembled to finish off the day's work. I was so happy with the way they didn't take themselves too seriously, yet everything came together so beautifully in their music. The Beatlemania of a few years prior was sneaking back up on me and I was sure I would be playing their records on repeat as soon as I would get home, I couldn't help but admire them as musicians as well as people since getting acquainted with them.

As they had begun to wrap up the session, John had snuck up on me as I was in the studio's kitchen grabbing myself a glass of water and George Martin a tea before I go.

"Sadie." He whispered starling me, causing me to nearly spill all the water that had just gotten into my glass.

I jumped and he immediately apologized, putting his hand on my arm instinctively to make sure I was okay, though a small smile turned the corners of his mouth upward.

"I just, came to apologize about earlier. I didn't mean to make you feel embarrassed. You are really great singer though, truly." he looked genuine as he spoke. His reputation failed him as he was the absolute farthest thing from being cynical in that moment, he seemed so genuinely sincere.

"Thank you." I managed to speak through how baffled I was at what I felt to be a high praise from such a renown musician.

"Paul tells me you write originals?" John inquired becoming more at ease as he leaned up against the counter next to me as I turned my attention to the kettle that was whistling.

"Yeah, I suppose I've written a couple." I shrugged underselling myself. Personally, I liked my songs but to show them to the Beatles? They felt like silly rubbish compared to their music, I think I'd just rather keep them to myself.

"I'd love to hear 'em sometime. Paul says that one, Visions, is a good one." He grinned, causing me to tense up.

"Really?" I asked out of breath, astonished he had this much interest in me at all, I hadn't expected anything like this from him.

"No," he smiled causing my grin to drop immediately, "I'm joking," he laughed seeing the distraught expression on my features "course I would, that's what I said isn't it?" He grinned pouring himself a cuppa.

I let a sigh of relief slip from my lips, thankful.

"Why not, Saturday? The lads are coming over to mine along with some other friends, a party." He spoke as he fished out a cigarette out of his pocket, multitasking as he put sugar into his tea. He took a match from his pocket and lit it, his eyes moving upwards to me to watch for my response.

"-Don't feel pressured to, I figured we'd be able to get to know you better.  You're kind of a big deal for this group, we're producing you now, something we haven't done before." John took a puff with a small smirk in contemplation of his thoughts.

"Sounds like fun." I beamed giving away my excitement after a moment of thought, causing John to perk up.

"Here's the address." He let his cigarette hang from his lips as he fished out a piece of paper and pen from his pocket, seeming somewhat premeditated. He handed me the paper with his address and a small doodle of himself with a word bubble that said "you're invited". It made me smile, the goofiness that he decided to keep concealed by his brash exterior.

"Thanks." I sucked on my bottom lip as I looked back up to his eyes coyly, watching as he looked down to his mug quickly, as if I had caught him off guard. He cleared his throat as he look his cigarette away from him lips, smiling as he ran his thumb long his forehead, cigarette still between his index and middle finger.

"Well, I look forward to seeing you in that little red number, yes?" He smirked with a nod, assuming I had one.

"For you," I leaned in, "of course." I whispered playfully. Two could play at the game he was getting at.

He looked taken aback, a genuine smile illuminating his face as he excused himself nervously and said a quick goodbye. I felt satisfied, I may have just been in a two year relationship, but I wasn't a prude, I could give him a run for his money.

I watched with half a smile as my eyes followed him out of the room. He wasn't quite what the rumours had said. It seemed he might've had a soft spot for me, as I had never heard rumours of John Lennon apologizing.
                    ___________________

"You sure I can't drive you home?" Paul asked as he was walking me out of the studio.

"No, that's alright, my mates are coming to pick me up," I grinned, "they don't believe you signed me. Not that I blame them,  I don't even believe it." I watched as his face lit up with a warm grin.

"Well believe it, because you're stuck with me now." Paul joked gaining a laugh from me.

"Gosh I hope so." I teased, watching him give me a funny smile.

"Is that them?" Paul pointed looking out of the front doors glass to Alex and Milly in the beat up old car we shared.

"Yeah, that would be them." I squinted at them, seeing their attention was solely on the front doors of the studio.

"Let's give them a show then, madame?" Paul held out his arm for me to wrap my arm in.

I smirked and played along, amused.

As we stepped out of the doors he smiled and turned to me unraveling our arms, making sure to be in clear view of the spies in the car across the way.

"You think we've got their attention?" Paul asked smiling, unable to keep himself from a small chuckle.

"Oh I know we do." Their stares were later focused on us, I could feel the weight of it.

"Well, I'll see you at Johns party?" He asked hopefully with a small smirk.

"You will." I spoke meekly, aware of flirtatious he was being.

"Good," he paused for a moment, his eyes lingering along my features, "-I'm really glad we're producing you. You're gonna make the big time, I know that as a fact." He grinned charmingly, holding out a hand for me to shake as a goodbye.

I looked into his eyes with a growing admiration. Unable to stop myself yet again, I brought him into a hug which he returned.

"Thank you." I said closely to his ear, meaning it very deeply.

"For what?" He seemed surprised yet there was an undertone of joy to his question.

"Just- everything," I grinned shaking my head. "No one has ever put so much faith in me." I felt some tears rise but pushed them back quickly as we broke away from the hug.

"Well, they're missing out, aren't they?" Paul's face was painted with a coquettish expression that caused my stomach to twist in a way I knew was good despite how anxious it caused me to feel.

"I'll see you Saturday." I laughed shaking my head as I began to descend the front steps, waving in an attempt to disperse the tension I felt rising in my chest.

"You will." He smiled, waving back.

I turned around to see Milly and Alex both ogling the scene that had laid out before them, causing me to nearly squeal with joy. This was what life with the Beatles would entail, I suppose.