Chapter 2: The Grimoire

A couple of weeks passed after the bandits attacked V/N. Ever since that day, Wizard King Julius made it a point to come and ask Y/N if he had decided to join the Magic Knights yet. Each time, Y/N told him that he was still thinking about it. After a month of being asked, Father Seth asked, "Why haven't you decided to join the Magic Knights? I mean, even the Wizard King himself thinks that you would make a wonderful Magic Knight." Y/N sighed as he said, "I only said that to begin with because I thought it would stop the two of you from bothering me about it. I just wanted to be left alone." Father Seth groaned, "Y/N! You can't just lie about something like that. The Wizard King himself is willing to endorse you. You should really consider such a grand opportunity." As he said that, Julius popped out of a bush, "What?! You were lying to me?!" Y/N looked at the Wizard King, "Were you hiding in the bush to ambush me?" Julius looked away, "Noooo?" Y/N said, "It's not very convincing if you say that as a question." Julius said, "Why are you so against the Magic Knights? The nine squads are the Golden Dawn, the Silver Eagles, the Crimson Lion Kings, the Blue Rose Knights, the Aqua Deer, the Purple Orcas, the Coral Peacocks, the Green Praying Mantis, and the Black Bulls. They've been protecting the kingdom for centuries. They've done their best to make sure that all the citizens of the Clover Kingdom are safe. Why wouldn't you want to be part of that proud tradition?" Y/N frowned at him, "Well, most of them are nobles, who hate commoners like me, look down on us, treat us like dirt, and don't actually care about commoners at all. That's why. And that's just something that can be said for all nobles. Not to mention the issues with each individual squad." Julius asked, "What issues with each individual squad?" Y/N began listing them, "Well, the Golden Dawn is the best squad, but all of its members are elite nobles and they're lead by a guy who voluntarily wears such an ugly and tacky mask." Julius began crying, "Ugly and tacky?" Y/N continued, ignoring Julius' cries, "And the Silver Eagles are lead by Nozel Silva, the eldest son of the royal Silva family. They would never allow a commoner into their squad. Plus, he has that super weird hair braid in front of his face. As for the Crimson Lion Kings, well, they have the same issue of being led by royalty. Their leader is Fuegoleon Vermillion, the eldest son of the royal Vermillion family. They tend to be sticklers and stuck up. As for the Blue Rose Knights, I heard that all the men are treated as errand boys. I mean come on! They're basically doing the same thing that most men do to women. That just makes it seem like their supporting it. As for the Coral Peacocks, their captain is always sleeping and I heard that their vice captain is Klaus Vermillion, a narcissistic royal. The Aqua Deers are led by an eighteen year old who spends too much of his free time drawing and less time being a captain. Then there's the Green Praying Mantis. Their captain is a psychopath that enjoys cutting thing as much as he can. In regards to the Purple Orcas, well, let me just say that the excrement from the cows is cleaner than that squad's captain. And last, but least, the Black Bulls." Julius said, "I think you mean 'last, but not least.'" Y/N said, "I know what I said and I meant what I said. Now, the Black Bulls are known to do nothing but cause trouble where ever they go. They've got the worst reputation of any magic knight squad. The biggest issue is that most of them are commoners, making it seem as though commoners shouldn't be magic knights in the first place because they cause so much trouble. So there, that's why I don't want to join the magic knights." Julius exhaled and raised a finger, "That may be true." Father Seth waited for a moment before asking, "But...what else?" Julius turned to him, "I just know that what he said is true. I don't have a come back for that. But, when I do get a come back, I'll tell it to you." Julius rushed off as Y/N and Father Seth walked back to the church.

Several more months passed until it was finally time for Y/N to receive his grimoire. Father Seth took him to the grimoire tower, "Oh, it's finally time for you to receive your grimoire. I remember when I was young and about to receive my grimoire. It was one of the best days of my life." Y/N simply sighed the Father's words and walked inside. A hand touched his shoulder and when he turned back, he saw that it was Julius, "Hey. Feeling good to get your grimoire." Y/N was surprised, "What are you doing here?" Julius said, "I'm making another attempt to get you to join the magic knights." Y/N simply let out another sigh as he went to join the others. The grimoire ceremony began. The guardian of the grimoire tower gave a speech as Father Seth and Julius went to hide in the shadows and watch the ceremony. The grimoires were then dispersed and went to their owners. As the teenagers received their grimoires, they began bragging about them. Some looked at Y/N. "Look at him." "Isn't he that orphan from the nearby village?" "He expects to get a grimoire?" "Man, what a waste of magic." Many more insults were hurled at him, irritating both Father Seth and Julius. As the rest of the grimoires were received, Y/N's came last. The grimoire gave off a brilliant light that blinded most of the people there until the light dimmed when it approached Y/N. It was as long as a person's head and as thick as one too. It had a beautiful outline on the cover and two parallel dragons in the center. In between the dragons was the most unusual part of the grimoire. It was a seven leaf clover, something that no one had ever heard of before. People's grimoires usually had three leaf clovers and the very lucky had four leaf clovers, but never had it been heard of a seven leaf clover. The audience watched in awe as Y/N grabbed his grimoire and exited the tower.
Here is an image of the grimoire. Apologies, I drew it myself, so it looks like that.

 Apologies, I drew it myself, so it looks like that