Chapter 16: New Beginnings

The next morning, I woke up early and headed downstairs to make breakfast for everybody. When I got to the kitchen, Lil was already making food. "Hey, why are you up so early?" I asked, pulling out a carton of orange juice. 

"Well, the baby has been talking to me all night. She made me worry about you." she said as she plated her pancakes.

"Oh, so you already know what happened?" I asked, and she nodded. I sighed as I sat down next to her. "Well, I don't want our parents to worry more than they have to. So, please don't tell them." I said, and she nodded. "Thank you. So, how is the little troublemaker?" I asked, and she smiled brightly.

"She's amazing. She already knows so much and can't wait to come out. Um, I've been meaning to ask you something." she said, and she started tearing up. 

"What's wrong? Did something happen?" I asked, placing my hand on her shoulder.

"Nothing happened, I just... this topic is kind of hard for me to talk about." she said, wiping away her tears. She looked to me and smiled. "I... I want to name her Kitt." she said, and I smiled, starting to cry as well. 

"Oh my god. Lil, really?" I said happily. She smiled back relieved. 

"Yes, so it's okay with you?" she asked, and I pulled her in for a hug. 

"What? Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be okay with me?" I asked and she just cheerfully cried in my arms.

"Thank you, Katt. I don't know if I would have been able to do this without you." she said. We pulled away to look at each other in the eye. 

"Yes, you could have, but Alec wouldn't. Lil, I need you to promise me something. I want you to help him get passed it. I don't know anything anymore, I've been having a hard time seeing what is going to happen to me, so promise me." I said, but she just started shaking her head.

"No, Katt, you know that he wouldn't be able to move on. And, nothing is going to happen to you, so don't worry about it." she said, but I didn't want to listen. 

"Lil, please. Just promise me, please." I begged. The second she nodded, I stood up, and went out back to take a breather. I went straight to the fountain and sat down and cried. Damn Hormones.

"Oh Kitt, I wish you were here. I really miss you." I thought, but there was no reply, as usual. I took a deep breath and stopped my crying. I stood up, fixed my clothes and headed back inside. The rest of the day, we just spent it hanging out with our family. The next day, I called for a family meeting to discuss a few... things.

"Okay. I gathered all of you here because I wanted to discuss a serious matter." I said, standing in the middle of the room and they all looked at me worriedly. "Well, I've been thinking about it and... I want to move back home." I said, and their expressions went from worry, to surprise and confusion. 

"Wait, what? Why?" my dad asked, and I went and sat down on the couch next to Alec.

"Look, this is the place my brother died in my arms. This is the place where Duke tried to shoot me. We nearly died on a plane trying to get here. I want to go home. We came here because we were trying to get away from danger. And now, Duke is in prison and there are no more threats. I want to leave." I explained, and I felt a cold tear slide down to the tip of my nose.

"I don't expect you to come with me, I just need to leave and try to forget my pain here, and try to move on. I-" I was interrupted by Alec placing his hand on my hand. 

"Katt, we understand. I'll come with you. You're not the only one that needs to leave." he said, and I smiled gratefully at him.

"I'll come with you." Lil said and I looked over to see her crying. "I don't want to be here anymore either. I hate it here, I want to go home." she continued and Alec quickly went and cuddled with her, attempting to make her feel better.