The White String

Author's Note: The white string is an urban legend that gave me chills when I first heard about it. You probably know it, it's really popular. I wasn't sure which character to use, I wanted Annabeth or Piper, but Annabeth is too smart and Piper listens to her dad, so I just used Katie.

________________________________________________________________________________

(Katie's POV)

"Mom, can I please pierce my ears?" I begged. "Please!" My mom just sighed. She brushed her wheat coloured hair away from her eyes with her powdered hands and continued to make bread. "Please, pretty please? I promise I will do all my chores."

Mom groaned and looked at me, her hand resting on the powdery table. She frowned and pursed her lips. That meant she was thinking.

"Okay." She said, going back to her work.

"Yes! I'll call Miranda now." I cheered, raising my phone to call Miranda. Mom stopped and looked at me.

"Yes, you can get your ears pierced at the mall."

"Oh come on! Please, mom, can I get it done at Miranda's?"

"No. If you want to argue, don't get your ears pierced then."

"Okay okay don't worry I'll go to the mall. Besides..." I smirked. "I need some money."

"How much?" Mom sighed. "Um... around 20 dollars." I tried not to smile too hard because it cost around 7 dollars.

"Take it from my bedside table's drawer."

I happily hopped away to her room.

* * *

I chomped on chips as I walked to Miranda's. I reached their shortly and rang the bell. Miranda opened the door and smiled at the bags of snacks I had.

I jumped up the stairs to Miranda's room. I sat on the floor and Miranda came in. After some chatting, we decided to get started. I sat down on the chair facing her mirror. Miranda took out a box from her closet. Inside was a gun like tool.

"This will pierce your ear. It won't hurt if you don't move." Miranda grabbed at a small marker and put a dot on each ear lobe to make sure it is in the middle. She grabbed a tube of some kind of gel and applied it on my ear lobe. It was cold and slimy. Finally, she held up the gun that had an earing on the top. I swallowed.

Miranda gently held it near my ear and pulled the trigger. A loud noise made me jump. She pulled away, and I stared in shock at the pretty earing. I grinned and motioned for Miranda to go on.

* * *

A couple of weeks later, I woke up to a red and itchy ear. It was bright and painful. I scratched it and started to get ready for school. Our first period was Art, and in the middle of the class, the itchiness became unbearable. I got up with my bag and asked for permission to go to the bathroom.

I looked at the mirror and saw a small piece of white string dangling from my piercing. Weird. I gently tugged at it, pulling it to my shoulder. I frowned. I pulled it again, before grabbing a pair of scissors from my bag. I held it near my ear and snipped on the white string. And my whole world turned black.

I woke up and opened my eyes, but my vision was blocked. I blinked hard, but it didn't help. I felt my eyes but couldn't feel any type of cloth. I started getting scared when I heard a soothing voice.

"Katie, calm down. Everything is okay. You are at the hospital and I am your nurse. What happened?"

"I- I don't know! I had gotten my ear pierced from my friend a few weeks ago, and today at school, my ear was painfully red and itchy, and this piece of string was dangling, so I cut it off."

"...Honey, I am going to tell you something, and you have to promise not to freak out. Honey, you didn't cut off a piece of string. It was your optic nerve."

  Author's Note: Hey guys! I just wanted to say don't be scared to pierce your ears! It is just a legend. Also, Wattpad is deleting parts of my story, and I know a lot of other people that had the same problems. I advise you to save your works on Docs too.

( 731 Words )