The Hook

Author's Note: Well... Hello! I have been inactive for nearly three months, and I am not proud of it. I lost motivation, but all the reads I got got me back into writing. And a cup of tea for my pounding headache, but whatever. Anyways, please please please if you have any requests, please let me know. And please correct me. Getting feedback helps me a lot. 

  P.S, Sammy, Hazel and Frank are here, and Sammy did not die because of a heart attack, Hazel did not die in the hands of dirtface or anything. This is an alternate universe. Please keep that in mind. Oh and Leo is the great-grandson of someone related to Sammy, I had to change that. Sorry!!

________________________________________________________________________________

  Sammy and Hazel stared at the sky. They were on top of a cliff, watching the starry night sky. Below, they could see lanterns. Hazel thought of her mother, possibly reading someone's hand. Then she shook her head, her beautiful curls flying. She was probably working, squeezing enough money to put food on the table. 

  After all, everyone called her a witch, so no one would give her jobs. Her only escape was her horse, Arion, Sammy, or the time she was in her "room" drawing, hidden from the rest of the apartment, the rest of the world, with a cloth. Now, she sat on the cliff with Sammy, who was rummaging through a bag. 

  "Ah, here." Sammy pulled something out, wrapped in some type of cloth. she craned her neck to see, and Sammy brought it to her. It was a cupcake. "For your thirteenth birthday." 

  He smirked the crazy smile that made the teachers wary of what he was about to do. Hazel smiled back, taking the cupcake. As they shared it, they talked about themselves and what they hoped to do in the future.

  Soon, Hazel caught him staring at her.

  "What?" She asked, self-conscious of herself. Were there crumbs on her face?

  "Nothing" He smirked again. Hazel looked at her hands, which seemed quite interested in it until Sammy took her hand. 

  She looked at him and noticed how close their faces were. His nose was nearly touching hers. Her gold eyes widened, staring into his brown ones. His nose gently brushed against hers, his eyes slowly closing as he leaned in. 

  Hazel's heart was thumping in her chest, and she hoped that Sammy didn't feel it when he picked up her other hand. Taking a big risk, she pushed herself forward, touching her soft lips against his, closing her eyes.

  Pulling away after some time, they stared at each other, panting slightly. Hazel blinked a few times before looking away, hoping her dark skin covered her blush. She could see Sammy smile from the corner of her eyes, when all of a sudden, something grabbed her messy curls, pulling her back. Screaming, she grabbed at her hair, trying to free herself.

  "Hazel!" Sammy screamed, before launching at her assailant. 

  "Sammy, no! Get out of here!" Hazel screamed as the attacker let go and grabbed Sammy. 

  Hazel tried to stand up and help her lover but tripped and hit her head on a tree trunk. Dazed, she looked at Sammy. The man, Hazel knew he was male for his broad shoulders, no female had broad shoulders in New Orleans in the 1940s, had his hand tangled in Sammy's curly black hair, pulling his head back. Another hand was right against his adam's apple, and she could see Sammy swallow. 

  Then, he pulled his hand back, and Sammy fell to the ground, his body lifeless, gurgling blood from his mouth, his eyes showing panic as he stared straight at Hazel. This couldn't be happening. Sammy, the boy who stood up for Hazel. Sammy, the boy who helped Hazel ride the horses he worked with. Sammy, the boy she loved for a long time, the boy that she kissed a few minutes ago. Sammy, the boy with the mischievous smirk and the dunce cap on his curly hair, as he saved Hazel from Rufus.