Chapter One {Forgotten}

Before you start reading, I just want you to know I am in the middle of rewriting and adding to this whole story! I've removed all the old chapters just so it isn't confusing for newer readers.

Thanks for reading x

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A dull breeze danced through the Underground city, causing shivers down the spines of the residence. Drafts were a common occurrence in the neglected ruins, reminding all who lived there of the challenges they faced each day.

A young woman lifted her head from the rubble beneath her. She took in the unfamiliar surroundings, trying her best to gain some sense of her whereabouts. Everything was dark and dreary; a sense of unease engulfing her.

"Where..." The girl's thoughts trailed off as her hand made its way to the back of her head. Her eyelids felt like lead weights, weighing her vision down. She didn't know just how much longer she could keep her eyes open.

"What happened to me? Where am I?"

A rush of adrenaline coursed through her veins as she tried to remember anything; any scrap of a memory that could tell her of her situation. She attempted to calm herself, slowing her breaths as best she could.

Completely disorientated, the feeling of dread crept deeper into her chest. It felt as though someone had dropped her into the lair of a predator. She felt as though she was prey just waiting for the hunter to strike, eyes piercing her from every direction.

She took her hand away from her head only to find it soaked. Urging her eyes to stay open, she used what little strength that remained in her small frame to stay conscious. Her vision was hazy so all she could make out was a deep crimson staining her hand.

"Is this blood?" Her deep breaths turned shallow as she looked at her unfamiliar surroundings once more. The buildings around her were rundown, and the cave like ceiling told her that she was somewhere Underground. Splashes of moonlight shone through the numerous cracks above the girl, giving her minimal light to see. Water covered the ground, filling in the many potholes on the path she found herself on. Plenty of other people seemed to occupy the ruins, laying in the filth besides her.

"What is this place?"

The girl tried to stand but her legs quickly buckled beneath her, returning her to the rugged stones. She winched from the harsh impact. Trying to stand once more, she found she couldn't get back on her feet. Slowly, she dragged herself to the closest wall and leaned her back against it. She tried to remember how she had gotten herself into her current situation, but only faint emotions seemed to remain. Grief, fear, desperation; what could have happened to instil these feelings in her? The more she tried to recall, the more her head seemed to spin. The weight of her eyelids slowly became too much, and they began to close.

"I can't fall asleep in a place like this." She willed herself, using the building against her back as support as she stood. "Damn it."

The girl focused on each individual step, consciously placing one foot in front of the other.

"I just need to find some shelter; I just need to hide." Focusing on that goal, she kept moving forward.

As she dragged her feet, she noticed three figures in the near distance. She could tell by the fact that there were near lifeless figures lying around her that anyone coming to her aide was unlikely. As the trio passed her stumbling form, her foot caught on a loose stone causing her to fall once more. The sound of the footsteps halted.

"Can we really just leave her like that?" a man asked.

She attempted to lift her head to face the voice, but fatigue continued to overwhelm her.